[NL2-NL10] AJo from EP

• AKM247
      Good morning,

I understand that AJo should'nt be played from UTG but I am a bit more comforatble deviating on NL2.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG1 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with A, J.
      Hero raises to $0.06, UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.06, 3 folds, BU calls $0.06, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.21) 3, 4, A (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.15, MP1 calls $0.15, BU folds.

Turn: ($0.51) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.62(All-In), MP1 calls $0.62.

River: ($1.75) T (2 players)

Final Pot: $1.75.

Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of aces(As Jh).
      MP1 shows two pairs, aces and tens(Th Ah).

MP1 wins with two pairs, aces and tens(Th Ah).

The flop comes I think it's good for me - rainbow I have TPGK, I do not think I have to worry about Straight draw I don't think MP calls with 62 or something ridiculous like this, BU I think had weak hand but calls for pot odds (he was limping frequently). So if villain (MP1)calls with any PP 8 - K I have him beat as it stands - I would only have to worry about AQ+.

The turn brings another heart so in case of FD I want to bet and thus go All in - I think the play is ok? Any feedback please?

• 2 replies
    • Pureness

Interesting hand there. You realize AJo utg isn't ideal so I'll leave that alone. You must remember though, if you get called, your opponents will know that you raised utg, and should have you on a small range. Therefore if you have two calls, I think you can assume at least on of them has AJ+, and if lucky, another as you said has a PP. Obviously these are assuming villains know something about poker. I also play NL2 and you can never be sure they do; usually they don't
      cBet on flop seems fine, you're making it look like you've got aces. But, if MP1 calls a UTG-raise PF and a bet on the flop, you could assume he has AK+, because your hand looks really strong and with anything below AT he wouldn't in general call PF.
      You have to go on with your story on the turn and not shoving would be more than half of your stack, so if you decide to bet shoving is the only option; that's fine. I agree check-call is awkward with the flush draw, so it's either check-fold or shove. Folding is weird with the PF-raise, so shoving was fine I guess.
      Then again, folding PF is free :)
    • Gerv

I would bet bigger on the Flop like $0.18 that way it looks less strong if you overbet shove

On the Turn you can also deviate by check/shoving if you use stats properly

Best regards,