NL, FL, PL or SnGs?

• Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      Okay well long story short, I got a free $50 capital on WH poker a while back, however due to real life problems I was dealing with at the time (long story) I simply didn't have much time for poker any more, and I felt pressured into having to play for at least an hour a day to make enough rake to clear the $50, in the end I just stopped playing and lost the $50.

However I was now offered $50 on FTP, which I took, and I'm about to start playing again since I have a lot more time to spare. The issue however is that it's been months since I've played, and I'm worried most/all of my poker knowledge will be gone - so I think I'll have to relearn. If I'm relearning from scratch, maybe it'd be fun to try out a different game-mode?

Previously I played NL, I found it fun, the variance wasn't too huge, and I eventually got the hang of it enough that I was steadily making rather than losing money. The only thing it was lacking was that adrenaline rush (kind of hard to get that with 2NL when you're actually playing properly and not on tilt) that I love with poker. The problem was sometimes I substituted and it threw me on tilt, causing me to lose my day (or week)'s winnings. FL, PL and SnGs could potentially offer a fix for that. As both FL and PL make it slightly harder to lose big amounts during tilt (FL in particular for obvious reasons) - and to go on tilt in the first place - and SnGs offer that adrenaline I love even when playing safely.

So in conclusion (and for those who don't want to read through the rest), which game type to do you play, why do you like it best? What are the pros and cons?
  • 4 replies
    • Pascal
      Pascal
      Bronze
      Hi,

I think you should try SnG's
      if you miss the adrenalin rush with NL
      I don't think you can respect FL too much and it will surprise you how fast you actually can loose money there

Cheers,

Pascal
    • Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      Okay, thanks for the advice and the quick response. I'm grabbing a bite to eat and then I'm going to spend the next few hours reading up on strategy before I give my first game a go.

If anyone else has any comments/suggestions feel free to post :)
    • Pascal
      Pascal
      Bronze
      in addition to reading the articles looking into our hand evaluation section (linked in my sig) should be a great help

it always helps to think about a concrete problem and than see what an experienced player thinks of it
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Realistically you should play a little of each game and pick what you like. If you like something your much more likely to play it and put in a lot of volume.