Funny situation.

• whytheluckystrike
      whytheluckystrike
      Bronze
      First time uploading a hand to PS (may be the wrong format)

This interesting situation accrued. Really enjoying these $1 Sngs :) .

Full Tilt - $1+$0.20|50/100 NL - Holdem - 7 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

MP: 1,580.00
      CO: 750.00
      BTN: 595.00
      SB: 2,360.00
      Hero (BB): 1,275.00
      UTG: 1,900.00
      UTG+1: 5,040.00

SB posts SB 50.00, Hero posts BB 100.00

Pre Flop: (150.00) Hero has 6:diamond: 4:club:

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, SB calls 50.00, Hero checks

Flop: (200.00, 2 players) 2:club: 9:heart: 5:diamond:
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (200.00, 2 players) A:club:
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: (200.00, 2 players) 3:heart:
      SB bets 200.00, Hero raises to 1,175.00 and is all-in, SB calls 975.00

Hero shows 6:diamond: 4:club: (Straight, Six High) (PreFlop 48%, Flop 15%, Turn 9%)
      SB mucks 2:diamond: 2:heart: (Three of a Kind, Twos) (PreFlop 52%, Flop 85%, Turn 91%)
      Hero wins 2,550.00

I actually put him on a set on the flop due to the way he called the blind and then checked to the river without even trying to attack my blind. I had already marked the guy as a terrible player after seeing him do some awfully funky moves previously. I would never normally shove that hand like that but luckily my suspicions proved right and the guy unbelievably called.

Thanks to PS I am now a winning player, shame it took me this long to actually go through articles and analyse my play!

Cheers,

Tom
  • 6 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      I'm glad to hear you are having fun with SNGs.

I think you should usually bet the flop or turn when someone open-completes the small blind and then checks to you. Most of the time, this is not a trap, it's a player giving up, and betting will very often take the pot.

On the river, I like the shove. You will definitely get called by any 4, and you won't increase the number of calls that much if you make a smaller raise. Of course, some people might 3-bet with only a 4 if you make a smaller raise, but I don't think you can count on that. Some hands weaker than a straight might call a push but would be much less likely to 3-bet.
    • whytheluckystrike
      whytheluckystrike
      Bronze
      Thanks for the information :) .

I have found that people often at this level call anything with anything (playing an A looking to get lucky or something). So I try to avoid raising this spot. Bad idea?

Cheers,

Tom
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      You mean you feel that you will get called when you bet the flop? (You say raising, but raising means that your opponent bet such as on the river.) You might find it memorable when your opponents make a call you wouldn't make, but I think you will find that you get a lot of folds if you bet even 1/2 pot. Even if your opponents would call with A-x, they won't often have A-x after limping in. On average, do you think your opponents call with a hand like J8 unimproved? If not, then you should usually be happy that they will fold to your 64 unimproved.

Please check your database and report how often your opponents call or raise a flop bet after they open-complete the small blind and then check the flop. In HEM, you might set the filters as follows: number of players greater than 2, action before you 1 limper, position of limper SB, effective stack depth > 6 bb, preflop action check, flop action bet * (bet, bet call, bet raise or other sequences starting with bet). Look for the count of hands. Then count the hands where your flop action is just to bet, and you don't see the turn. Those are the times your opponents folded.

If you always bet the flop when the SB checks to you, your play is exploitable. However, the players who are limping in and checking the flop tend to be unobservant casual players who are not going to notice and adapt. Better players tend to open-raise much more often and to bet the flop if you didn't raise their limp.
    • whytheluckystrike
      whytheluckystrike
      Bronze
      Thanks so much Pzhon for your in-depth analysis!
      I will often raise when someone checks to me after the flop but at this stage of the tournament I'm trying to play rather tight and I'd rather not get into an awkward situation.

When you talk about the stats, are you talking about a specific villain or all the people I've played with overall? I don't often see many regulars at this level to have a solid enough sample size of an individual. (I'm using poker tracker 3 btw)

Thanks again for the information I'll take it on board.

Tom
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Again, when someone checks to you on the flop, the term for putting chips into the pot is "bet" not "raise." Please see this stickied post at the top of the forum: Bet vs Raise vs 3bet/4bet/5bet/6bet

Betting in position with no hand doesn't set up awkward situations. If you get raised, fold. If your opponent calls and then bets the turn, assume he has something decent and fold. It is awkward when you don't bet, and then pick up a pair and your opponent makes a small bet which you have to interpret with little useful information. I can understand that you might view bluffing as complicated and dangerous in general, but this situation is the lowest hanging fruit.

The database queries I recommended are supposed to be run on your whole database, not on specific opponents. You will not have enough hands on specific opponents. You can use the results on unknown opponents, although you may have reads on some particular opponents or types of opponents which override the aggregate values.
    • whytheluckystrike
      whytheluckystrike
      Bronze
      I got you, thanks :) .

Tom