Oppinions about hand.

• Sentras
      Sentras
      Bronze
      blinds 30/60 (tournament)
      stacks:
      Setera: 2940
      Slava: 5515

Setera UTG+3 raises to 180 with 10 :diamond: 10 :club: .
      Slava1918 Button calls 180 with (see at end).
      SB +BB fold.

Info's i have so far from Slava is that he's a very aggressive player. And has a pretty wide range of hands to call there. Lets say at least 30%.

Flop:
      9 :club: 9 :diamond: 2 :diamond:

Setera C-bets 270 in a pot of 450.
      Slava1918 minraises to 540.
      Setera calls.
      Total pot: 1530 (I have 2220 behind.)

Turn:
      8 :spade: (changes nothing except for pocket 88.)

Setera checks.
      Slava1918 bets 420.
      Setera raises to 1170.
      Slava1918 shoves.
      Setera calls.

Slava flips over A :heart: A :diamond:

River:
      5 :club:

What could I have done better in this hand? Or give me other potential plays.
      I know its hard without any background of the player. But I only saw a few hands of him myself.

Best Regards,
      Setera
  • 5 replies
    • sapheal
      sapheal
      Global
      hi Sentras :s_love: ,

I'm recommending you our hand evaluations forums where you can
      ask about specific hands and where you gonna find all the answers
      to your questions :)

Regarding your hand =) -

Preflop you can raise smaller sizing in the tournaments, but generally played okay. Turn played bad- there was no need to raise, esp given your opponent is a deceptive player. You should call turn and re-evaluate the river. It'd be difficult for your opponent to go allin with AA on 992 board.

cheers,
      Michal
    • MrJohnAce
      MrJohnAce
      Bronze

I'm recommending you our hand evaluations forums where you can
      ask about specific hands and where you gonna find all the answers
      to your questions :)

Hi Michal,

could you maybe give us a link to one of these "evaluations forums" you write of?

I also have a question regarding the following hand, although I'm not interested in finding out if I played it right or wrong.

Known Players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP3:
      CO:
      BU:
      Hero:
      BB:

SnG-MTT $ 3.00 (6 Players)
      30/60 No-Limit Hold'em (5 Players)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102.40520.2 by www.pokerstrategy.com

Preflop: Hero is SB with A :club: , 8 :club:
      MP3 folds, CO calls, BU folds,
      Hero raises 120 to 180, BB folds, CO calls

Flop: (420) 9 :club: , 7 :heart: , 6 :club: (2 Players)
      Hero bets 210, CO calls

Turn: (840) 9 :heart: (2 Players)
      Hero checks,
      CO bets 2900 ( (AI)), Hero calls ( (AI))

River: (5030) A :diamond: (2 Players)

Final Pot: 5030

Results follow:
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and nines (Ac, 8c) --> (Ad, Ac, 9c, 9h, 8c)
      CO shows two pairs, aces and nines (Ah, 6h) --> (Ad, Ah, 9c, 9h, 7h)

Hero wins 3420 with two pairs, aces and nines (Ac, 8c) --> (Ad, Ac, 9c, 9h, 8c)
      CO wins 1610 with two pairs, aces and nines (Ah, 6h) --> (Ad, Ah, 9c, 9h, 7h)

Am I bad at maths, is this a mistake or am I missing something about payouts in split-pots?
      His stack had mine covered almost 2:1 preflop. How did I end up with most of the chips? I had a stronger hand (A8s vs A6o) before the cards were out, but that shouldn't matter as we both used only our aces in the end. The final pot was 5030, so I should've won only 2515. Don't get me wrong, the "extra" 905 made me all :f_love: inside! But I am slightly confused here...

Could you maybe explain it to me or at least tell me (by supplying a link) where I could post this to get my question answered?

Thanx in advance!
      I wish you nothing less than only the highest Royal Flushes!

Johnny

• sapheal
      sapheal
      Global
      hi Johnny :s_love: ,

Hand evaluation forums- http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1412

Hero shows two pairs, aces and nines (Ac, 8c) --> (Ad, Ac, 9c, 9h, 8c)
      CO shows two pairs, aces and nines (Ah, 6h) --> (Ad, Ah, 9c, 9h, 7h)

It wasn't a split pot, you doubled up, i.e. you took as much as you could take. You had AA998 and your kicker worked because 8>7. His 6<7, therefore didn't work, thus your opponent had AA997. You win just because you had a better kicker by the river.

Thank you but I'm would even want to have royal flushes only, I learning most from downswings and hand analysis, and I want to learn :) Still, tyvm for such great kind words :) :s_cool: :heart:

I hope I could help you and that you'll become a great poker player one day.

Cheers,
      Michal
    • MrJohnAce
      MrJohnAce
      Bronze
      Ah, I see now! I had him out-kicked after all!

*Johnny's left hand is furiously and forcefully trying to block his right hand from slapping his face*

Thank you for pointing that out and for your time. Next time I'll have a better look before posting something like that. Sometimes one just wants to believe, what one wants to believe... and when one believes, what one wants to believe, one closes himself to anything that might be contradictory... I guess that's what happened.

Also, thank you for your kind wishes. :f_biggrin:

Enjoy the rest of your day!

TAKE 2:
      May they one day change the name of the Ace to Michal! Where the famous Ace of Spades becomes the "Michal of Spades"! And every time a person with extraordinary knowledge of Poker is spoken of, they'll refer to him as "The One with the 'Michal' up his sleeve"! :f_grin:

Ciao,
      Johnny
    • sapheal
      sapheal
      Global
      Johnny :s_thumbsup: ,

Thank you for such kind words. I don't deserve that much. Still, I will do my best to at least partially show my skills.

I'm very I could have helped you. Feel free to ask my anytime or add me to friend list :) :s_love:

Cheers,
      Michal