optimal Conti bet %

• 13 replies
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RubyWesson
      So does anybody know the MOST optimal conti bet size? everybody says between 2/3 to pot size but there must be a mathmatical optimal?
      Depends what you're playing. If you play BSS cash, 2/3 is ok on a dry board. If flop is full of draws, protect with a slightly higher CB (4/5, or close to pot). If you play MTTs, you can just CB ~1/2 pot or sometimes even less, but it all depends on your opponent.
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      the "optimal" bet is very opponent-depending.

It all depends on your hand, your opponents range, their willingness to pay off etc. It's always about betting for maximum value(and or protection) against certain types.

Some players will call potbets, some will not. It's all about exploring what is best versus a certain player. Some won't fold for nothing in which case its a good idea to go for a potbet for example, esp on drawy flops where you want to get as much of your money in as possible. :)

My advice is, read the articles about continuation bets and try to think about all what is written there.

Watch your opponents, are they calling big bets? Note it down and keep doing it when you want value. Are they folding alot? Well note that down too. Eventually you'll get a grasp of it.

:)
    • RubyWesson
      RubyWesson
      Bronze
      The ideas just to not give them the right pot odds for there draw though right, but wouldnt that just make them more of a loser in the long run and not the hero winning more?
    • dochazard
      dochazard
      Bronze
      I think you might be missing the point of why to cbet, which is to remain the aggressor in the hand when you were the PF raiser and/or you can get your opponent to fold his stronger hand.

The mathematical optimal cbet size is opponent-dependent in so much as it depends on how many times you can get him to fold his stronger hand. Like if you can get him to fold TPWK against your middle pair 1 out of 2 times you cbet 1/2pot on the flop, you're profitable in the long run. You're still marginally profitable even if he folds just 1 out of 3 times if no further betting occurs and you hit your redraws on later streets.

Again, it's one of those strong examples for the "it depends" cliches.
    • RubyWesson
      RubyWesson
      Bronze
      So should i be c-betting on all flops when heads up?
    • dochazard
      dochazard
      Bronze
      Let's answer contextually.

In a vacuum, each time you raise PF, get called by a LP player, cbet. If you're called by one of the blinds and get checked to, cbet.

In the microstakes, with the same conditions above, same thing.

Rinse, repeat until your villain starts to play back at you by calling each time or raising. Then you'll have to adjust your cbet range. At microstakes, this might not be too complicated, just pick your strong made hands and good drawing hands for continuation in the turn-river. Don't bluff.

If you have a tracker, things are easier. Look for their Fold to Flop Cbet stat. It will tell you how often to
      cbet. For example, if Fold to FCBet is at 50% or more, a standard 1/2pot cbet OOP or when checked to will be profitable. Less than 30%, and you might want to check your middle strength hands.
    • RubyWesson
      RubyWesson
      Bronze
      Yea, ive got a tracker but at the moment im only playing nl4 on party and nl 5 on FullTilt, so the playerbase is massive and on party i have a regulars, but trying to build up my database for both.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      somewhere between 20% and 100% with a sizing between 1bb and 100bb
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      69.1%
    • RubyWesson
      RubyWesson
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      69.1%
      Do you have any reason for this amount?
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      somewhere between 20% and 100% with a sizing between 1bb and 100bb
      69.1%
      I can't see why these guys aren't moderators yet
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      So does anybody know the MOST optimal conti bet size? everybody says between 2/3 to pot size but there must be a mathmatical optimal?
      There is no answer to this because there are so many other factors that matters so it's situation based.

Board texture? opponent? what we want to achieve with the c bet? heads up or multiway pot?
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      69.1%
      Do you have any reason for this amount?
      Yes I do.