The reason for writing this blog is purely selfish. I hope to disprove my Father’s adage that “The one thing that you learn from experience is that you … don’t learn from experience.”

So the plan is to write a piece from time to time reflecting upon some aspect of play from which I should learn (but sadly may not have done so in the past).

I used to sneak to the door of my Father’s home poker game and peek round it into the cigarette smoke. Then I found Yardley’s book, The Education of a Poker Player, and knew this was a game I must play. I am intensely competitive and hate losing in any context.

I am a 50 yr old secret poker player (my Wife would not approve) and so I only play short sessions late at night. I have a good job and so am not trying to turn peanuts into millions I am simply trying to play the game as well as I can. I put $50 into a Pokerstars account a couple of years ago and after doing well initially am in a horrible slump. (Lost $100 over 60 log ins or so down to $175)

I have been playing 2-5 cents below and 5-10 cents NLHE above $200.

Since joining pokerstrategy I have ground my $50 up t0 $107 in the 1-2 cent game on 888 and have just started playing the 3-6 cent NLHE.

If anyone can tell me how to hide the poker elephant thingy so the Wife can’t see it on the computer I’ll get prettier and better graphics. (Cut and paste doesn't seem to work out of excel)

so far I have learned

1) 4 table is probably too many for me (old brain) and I think this is partly responsible for poor decision making in the slump on Stars.

2) Do not play poker when you are feeling miserable… it will kick you in the teeth. My particular leak in this context is knowing exactly what hand is beating me and still paying it off (did this 3 times with AA last 2 sessions).

3) I probably lose more money with high pairs trying to drive people out of pots (who either have me beat or who suck out on me) than any other way.

4) When I am annoyed (bored) I make bad decisions and should quit when down rather than making it worse.

Years ago, shortly after the death of Diana, I was dealing in a home game. In the middle of the flop came the Queen of Hearts.
“Ooohh look” I said, “the Princess Di’”.
“That’s not the Diana” said Richard, a loud New Yorker, picking it up before slamming the card down on the table with such force it knocked over two glasses of wine and woke Ivan up. “Now it’s the Lady Diana” he said.