Perfect computer for online poker

• Gunshow933
      Gunshow933
      Basic
      My p.c is struggling to cope with multitabling in MTTs (with PokerTrack 3 running) as soon as I go over 9-10 tables at once. Ideally I would like to be playing at around 15-16. What upgrades can I do to my p.c/ What should I be looking for when purchasing a new p.c in order to maximise performance in such a situation.

Thanks for your help (from a computer noob).
  • 15 replies
    • ronuble
      ronuble
      Bronze
      What's ur budget ? i can help u if u give more details :) basically, anything with a good processor + 4GB+ ram should be enough for multi tabling.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      You don't even need that tbh. I've got a Dell XPS M1530 with 2GB RAM and i'm able to run 12 tables, HEM, Mozilla, Itunes, Skype and MSN without any lag :)
    • ronuble
      ronuble
      Bronze
      LOl, then my computer is fucking retarded. :P 2gb ram + intel 2.0 dual and keeps crushing with 6 tables +pokertracker-.-
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by ronuble
      LOl, then my computer is fucking retarded. :P 2gb ram + intel 2.0 dual and keeps crushing with 6 tables +pokertracker-.-
      Well it reallly depends on what kinds of processor and ram it is. There's always some advancements in computers so a comp with 4gb ram from 2 years ago is probably equaly to a comp with 2gb ram 2day.

And yeah HEM and PT3 needs a decent processor and like 4gb ram to work smoothly when playing 12+ tables but thats pretty standard in most computers this days. You should find something for like 600-700€ without a problem, but it gets a bit more expensive if you want a good laptop.
    • ronuble
      ronuble
      Bronze
      ya , my acer is kinda old, and laptops have weaker processors , and ofc every laptop ends up working bad at some point if ur a sicko like me :P
      With 700E he should be able to build a nice PC, we selected the pieces for my nephew like 6 months ago and got a nice gaming pc for 1.2k here in uruguay .
      BTW: most poker players are geeks, if we can't find a good set of processor+ram+video cards for that money, we're not trying hard enough :P hahah
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Yeah thats true :) But personally i think paying more then 750€ for a gaming comp is totaly spewy since in 2 years it will be just another crappy old comp anyway. And the difference between a 750€ comp and 1.5k comp isn't really that big. It usually just has a bit newer graphic card they like to way overcharge you for and will be worth 80% less in 3months anyway when they make a new model.

I usually just get a new comp every 2-3 years or so. I've just got a new one with i5 quad core 4gb ram and radeon 6770 or something for 750 and everything works fine. You don't even notice the HEM running or when you refresh sessions or anything and i tried new games like crysis on it and it works well even on highest settings so i thinks its kinda spewy to get anything more expensive unless you really need it for something specific.
    • ronuble
      ronuble
      Bronze
      yes, but uruguay has old computers at sick prices (really, is disturbing when u compare it with europe/usa prices) , so what u bought with that money here i probably worth 2k + , maybe 1.5k if u get all pieces and put it together yourself. I think if some euro guy gives him advice is better know that i think :P i know bout computers -programming analyst- but my price range is not very accurate hahaha
      BTW : i didn't clarify that i was talking about dollars not euros when i said 1,5k lol :f_confused: :f_confused: :f_confused: sorry
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Ebay?
    • Gunshow933
      Gunshow933
      Basic
      Cool thanks for the info. Don't really have a budget limit - finally found something useful to spend poker winnings on!

My current p.c is not bad although slightly outdated. I've heard if this is the case you can simply buy upgrades. For example, I have 512Mb of Ram at the mo and purchasing 4 Gb would probably solve my multi-tabling problem?
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      well, my pc wasnt that bad, but used to lag quite a bit, so i bought 2gb ram, when i had 1gb and now its perfectly fine. tho you should get the info, what is the max ram for your pc, just because 3gb is max for me
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Any computer made in the last 5 years works at least decently for 9 tabling tiled+hem/pt3. concern yourself with cpu and ram when you want it to run impecable or want hud for tables in cascade. It has a lot to do with software too. A fresh and clean windows goes a long way.
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Silver
      Originally posted by Gunshow933
      Cool thanks for the info. Don't really have a budget limit - finally found something useful to spend poker winnings on!

My current p.c is not bad although slightly outdated. I've heard if this is the case you can simply buy upgrades. For example, I have 512Mb of Ram at the mo and purchasing 4 Gb would probably solve my multi-tabling problem?
      Chances are if your comp only has 512mb ram, it will likely be limited elsewhere as well. Upgrading your RAM will have little effect if the rest of your PC is also slow
    • blackaces82
      blackaces82
      Bronze
      i changed the hdd in my macbook pro to a ssd drive (ocz vertex II ex). that really boosted the performance of pt 3.

regards
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwPrTifDm7I

This :P
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Bronze
      These specs are crazy... I have a £500 Toshiba laptop with 2GB ram, 2Ghz processor and windows 7.. .Runs 16 tables, HEM and winamp or whatever no problem. More than 16 tables + tracker gets a bit laggy though. I guess you could buy the same spec pc as my laptop for £200.