[NL2-NL10] AQ top 2pair; stacked by filthy three of a kind

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Silver
      right so i been getting my head round MSS cos my game was in serious need of improvement. pretty happy with it too cos the second i started sticking to the strat the trend on my graph started to slowly move up (slowly). anyways, i never used this hand analysis before and i would love to start. im just wondering if this mistake was avoidable...

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      UTG2:
      $2.15
      MP3:
      $4.26
      Hero:
      $0.81

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:diamond: , Q:heart:
      UTG2 raises to $0.08, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.08, CO folds, Hero calls $0.08, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.27) A:heart: , Q:diamond: , 7:diamond: (3 players)
      UTG2 bets $0.1, MP3 calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.73 (All-In), UTG2 raises to $2.07 (All-In), MP3 folds, UTG2 gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Turn: ($1.83) 9:heart:
      River: ($1.83) 8:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $1.83

Results follow (highlight to see):
      UTG2 shows three-of-a-kind, aces (As Ac)
      Hero shows (Ad Qh)

UTG2 wins with three-of-a-kind, aces (As Ac)

i know i shouldn't have limped in when the strat clearly says fold but hey ho whats done is done. anyways a raise according to MSS says x3 original raiser +1 per caller and since i flopped top 2 i shoved since the required raise was greater than 50% of my stack. was this acceptable play or should i have dwelled on UTG1's rather steep raise OOP?
  • 3 replies
    • AKM247
      AKM247
      Bronze
      Heya mate - welcome to the site :)

Although NL2 can be looser you still have to consider the range of players UTG - as you mentioned you should fold or 3bet and to 3bet you'd need to have QQ+ if you were going to 3bet in this spot it'd be $0.32 so you'd may as well go AI for good measure

So consider UTG has AK+ KK+ (since UTG play is tighter) - if you had AQs you'd have 12% equity vs. AA, 28% vs AKs, 31% vs. KK (please correct if I'am wrong coaches, I don't have the equilab handy) plus if you add a range for MP3 if you were to shove this would also alter your equity.

On the flop if the villain's on AK or KK you're way ahead with monster two pair + Nut BDFD (back door flush draw) so personally I'd be happy to go broke under normal circumstances but the problem here is that AA & even QQ is part of villain's range. Although tbh it's a v small cbet considering he had the nuts lol
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hello DrDunne,

Welcome to PS Hand Evaluations :)

First of al I would like to remind you that on lower limits, we constantly stick to the chart to protect our beginning players to make costly mistake. Calling preflop with AQo is for example one of these mistakes. If you watch any MSS beginner video, one will see that calling is prohibited and requires extensive , deep and complex analysis

As played you got lucky hitting 2 pair so raising the flop for value & protection is mandatory
      But I just fold preflop

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Silver
      cheers for the feedback. ye i was pretty happy to shove on that board although i do remember once i saw i flopped top 2 pair i stopped caring about my opponents' possible range so i think that's a major leak for me... i'll be paying more attention to that and the charts in future to avoid this sort of situation as much as possible. thanks again