should I do addon in a rebuy mtt?

• davidgod
      davidgod
      Bronze
      i often play a live rebuy and addon mtt game

you begin with 1000 chip, blind start with 25/ 50 ,after 20 minute it raises to 50/100 and 100/200

buyin is 10dollar

you can make start up rebuy to pay 10 dollar more to get 2k chip

and when you are out of the game you can pay 20 dollar to rebuy to 2k chip.

and when the 100/200 level ends (first break)

you can addon to pay 30 dollar to get 5k chips

my situation is cosidering a lot of fish in live tournament , my skill especially preflop skill is way better than other players.

my quesion is that should I do start up rebuy to get 2k chips, and should I add on to get 5k chips more?

normally there will be 40 players in the tournament. 5 people in the money. the fifth position get a little more than 200 dollar, the first get 40% price pool about 1000 dollar.

if i may start up rebuy and adddon that means i pay 50 dollar if get 5th , i receive 4 buyin back, if i won 1st position i get 20 buyin back.

If i don't rebuy and addon , if i am in the money i got 20 buyin back, if i won the game i get 100 buyin back. it semms to be better.

and because there are a lot of fish ,if i make a early double up it is the same to make start up rebuy.

so mathematically what is my strategy, to play rebuy tournament? addon and rebuy or not?
  • 7 replies
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      imo rebuy when you just start, then the add on depends on your stack, if you have like 20k then you can probably not add on, otherwise i think i would always add on.
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      I would rebuy at the start - if it is full of fish you want to be in a position to take full advantage early on - before they get knocked out.

As for the add-on - I would look at average stack size - if I was below or just average I would rebuy - more chips gives you the edge and will probably be profitable in the long run

Cheers

Jass :D
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      I agree withe above replies. Rebuy at the start, to get even bigger edge over the fish. As for add-on, if your stack is big enough (2x average+) no need to rebuy. If it's average or below, rebuy to get some edge.
    • dochazard
      dochazard
      Bronze
      Same as above, except I'd be looking at how many other players addon, especially at my table.

If majority of them addon, I would addon whatever my stack size, to keep my edge against them. At 20 min blind levels, you'd have gone through 5, at most 6 rounds if the hands are played out short. Very few players would have busted out and if the fish rebought, played tight, and added on, you'd still be looking at going up against 5k+ stacks. And unless you double up TWICE against two stacks who both rebought on the first level to start with 4k, you might end up with maybe around 6-8k after the break if you don't addon.

And even if few people do take the addon, I think the added utility of having the big stack offsets the lost equity from the ROI, especially if you do have the edge skill-wise.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      It sounds like it would be a big mistake not to add-on unless you had a huge stack at that point. Adding on gives you more chips/$ than the initial entry or rebuys, 167 chips/$ instead of 100 chips/$, and at that stage the chip value is still close to linear unless you have accumulated something like 1/4 of the chips in play or you can see your opponents' cards. Get more chips so you have more to double up, or more to rebuild in case you lose a showdown.

It's a more interesting question whether to take an add-on (or to play aggressively early so you have a higher chance of having to rebuy). In typical live tournaments, serious players have enough of a skill advantage that I think you should buy in/rebuy as much as you can without going crazy like Negreanu (who plays losing poker early in some rebuy tournaments, then get serious later). You should watch the chips/$ and rake for other tournaments, but in this structure I would rebuy immediately and would risk rebuying often. I think that would win the most money, while it might not maximize my ROI. Investing $10 and getting back $20 on average doesn't seem as good to me as investing $80 and getting back $120 on average.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pzhon
      It sounds like it would be a big mistake not to add-on unless you had a huge stack at that point. Adding on gives you more chips/$ than the initial entry or rebuys, 167 chips/$ instead of 100 chips/$, and at that stage the chip value is still close to linear unless you have accumulated something like 1/4 of the chips in play or you can see your opponents' cards. Get more chips so you have more to double up, or more to rebuild in case you lose a showdown.

It's a more interesting question whether to take an add-on (or to play aggressively early so you have a higher chance of having to rebuy). In typical live tournaments, serious players have enough of a skill advantage that I think you should buy in/rebuy as much as you can without going crazy like Negreanu (who plays losing poker early in some rebuy tournaments, then get serious later). You should watch the chips/$ and rake for other tournaments, but in this structure I would rebuy immediately and would risk rebuying often. I think that would win the most money, while it might not maximize my ROI. Investing $10 and getting back $20 on average doesn't seem as good to me as investing $80 and getting back $120 on average.
      That's a good explanation. I guess it depends on BRM though, I mean if you average 4 rebuys and 1 add on you can play with a smaller bankroll than if you do play very loose and average 8 rebuys and the addon.

Another question is at what point do you stop rebuying, givin that you are comfortably rolled? Because I play one where near the end a double rebuy wont even get you 10BB
    • szoketomi
      szoketomi
      Bronze
      It depends on your stack size. If I got about 50 or more BBs I don't buy add-on.