Beginners Luck?

• TeflonDon88
      Ok I've just made the transition from NL Hold'em to PL/NL Omaha. I have been playing for 3 days now. I've played about 4k+ish hands roughly (mainly 4/5 tabling the micros on pokerstars) I have come out near enough break even from the cash games (slight profit) and some fairly major success from entering some Micro NL KO stngos (ITM 2/3 entered on avg)

I have read some Omaha strategy but not much, I tend to play TAG, I know i have some major leaks for example going allin on the flop with the nuts (just flopped a wheel on a rainbow board went allin guy calls with top set and rivers quads etc).

I also exercise good bankroll management and always leave the cash games once ive doubled up and join another

(learnt to do this the hard way when i sat at a table with 2 fish that literally potted everything preflop and nearly every street, won about 10 buyins from them, got dealt a monster reraised pot preflop, flopped an overpair with the nut flush draw and gutshot got my entire stack in on the flop fish had bottom 2 pair and i bricked turn and river.... :f_o: :f_mad: :f_cry: )

What i don't get is, I've played NL Hold'em for a few years, read nearly every strategy book there is and i always end up busting my bankroll, yet i play omaha for 3 days and churn out a decent profit, with id say a half decent hand sample size.

I'll post some graphs later (HM doesnt like my pc so i have to transfer my HH to my laptop and import them into that HM = major pain in the arse)

EDIT: I should probably add I only play Omaha Hi because i don't like splitting pots :) when i have the nuts
  • 5 replies
    • Waiboy
      Okay. The short answer is yes. :f_p:

The longer answer is:

Study more. Lots more. :f_cool:

4k hands isn't a sample size. 50k hands *probably* is. :f_p:

Also it looks like you haven't quite worked out how hand equity works. For example:

Nut wheel straight v top set, rainbow board.

board: A:club: 2:heart: 3:spade:

AA** 38.3302% Wins Hi: 37.0780%, Ties Hi: 2.5045%
      45** 61.6698% Wins Hi: 60.4175%, Ties Hi: 2.5045%

Overpair+nut flush draw+gutshot v bottom two pair:

board: K:club: T:club: 9:spade:

Ts9d5h4h 40.6708% Wins Hi: 40.6708%, Ties Hi: 0.0000%
      AcAQc2h 59.3292% Wins Hi: 59.3292%, Ties Hi: 0.0000%

Both spots are great to get your stack in on (allowing for deepstack situations, where you often want to have the nuts with redraws to the nuts - although if you're getting called this light then be pretty happy).

I'm sorry if I've misunderstood your line about good bankroll management - it just reads a bit like you're suggesting it's how much you leave a table with instead of how many buyins you have for the limits you are playing.

For PLO a good conservative BRM is around 50BIs. So for PLO5 you should have $250, moving up to PLO10 when you hit $500. I would guess a more conservative BRM may be required for NLO, and a less conservative BRM required for PLO8.

In general, I think playing deep is fine as long as you have the other deep stacks on your right (ie you have position on them). Just doubling up doesn't matter if everyone else at the table is still at ~100bb stacks. The longer you can maintain position on weak players the longer you should stay at the table.

I'm guessing this isn't the response you were hoping for, but I hope it makes sense nonetheless. :s_cool:
    • TeflonDon88
      on the contrary it is a perfect response! :)

I shall get those 46k hands done in no time! :P

lol about the BRM line, i know what proper BRM is and i stick to it, i just thought i'd ad a bit about my strategy of doubling up and leaving, i know its nothing to do with BRM :P

the reason i don't play deep stack is to minimize losses , at the limits im playing at they'll call an allin so many times ive got my stack in with the nuts on the board and about 3 people have called and overtaken me, id rather just play small stack for now :) whilst im learning.
    • Ribbo
      It will take you at least a year of playing PLO before you start to understand some of the specifics of the game. Keep plugging away, don't focus on moving up, just focus on gaining experience.

Treat it as a hobby that doesn't cost you any money (hopefully!) and try to work on finishing each session at the same point you started at. After a while you will gradually get rid of the leaks in your game and you will start to see the graph move upwards.

Shortstacking isn't a bad idea, but eventually you will want to buy in a little deeper, say 50 bets.
    • Kyyberi
      I have studied and learned plo more or less for the last 3 years. And all the time I have thought that I know this game.

But now I know how little I knew year or 2 years ago. You need to play a lot, and think those situations and hands. Why is certain lines better than others? Don't take any advices for granted, think them through by yourself. If someone says "don't 3bet bad aces", think and find out why they say so, etc.

At some point you will heat the BigBang, which means that you "unlock" the game in your mind. And after that it doesn't matter what happens in the tables, you can figure out what to do.
    • L3ST
      Lower number of tables to 4, read Pot Limit Omaha - The Big Play Strategy by Jeff Hwang.

I got from rakeback grinder to 33BB/100 hands over 18K hands sample on PL6.
      Less volume, more exploiting opponents.

My reply is to what you said:

I shall get those 46k hands done in no time!