cut off and button

• cekpirus88
      cekpirus88
      Bronze
      Hi everyone I am quite new here.. starting seeing some videos. when I am in the button and I want to steal the blind, no one called before.. what should I do? for example let s say I have A 7 suited or a pair bigger than a 55, how much do I raise? and if the small or big blind re raise?
      Let's say that the blinds are 100-200 and I have 1300...
      thanks
  • 8 replies
    • Millsyuk
      Millsyuk
      Bronze
      With a stack size of 6.5 big blinds as in your example any hands you are playing should be a shove really. There may be some exceptions where you are trying to induce a shove from the blinds but most good players will probably see through this with that stack size.
    • cekpirus88
      cekpirus88
      Bronze
      thanks so you mean that with all pairs about 55 and a7 or more or KT or more I should definitely go all inn? or just raise?
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by cekpirus88
      thanks so you mean that with all pairs about 55 and a7 or more or KT or more I should definitely go all inn? or just raise?
      I think 10bbs or less on the button first in you can open shove any suited ace or pocket pair. Maybe someone will correct me, I don't play sng's but I'm pretty sure this is unexploitable. Also probably all broadways will be good here too. The only time you might consider folding in such a spot with a mediocre hand is if you've shoved a couple already that orbit and there is a loose big stack in the blinds - Even then though, with broadways you'll dominate a lot of the loose big stacks calling range and you'll either be way ahead with big pairs or flipping with small ones. Be prepared for some serious variance playing push\fold though... You can play perfectly and still have some sick losing runs!

Download the ICM trainer from this site, it'll help you get your head around the sng late game.
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Hi cekpirus88,

As a SNG player I might be able to help with your question.

Basically, once you have less than 10 BB (Sometimes even less than 12 BB on the button) you need to start using the push or fold strategy depending on the independant chip model.

There's a few ways to train your push or fold phase and one of them is to use the pokerstrategy ICM trainer available here which will help you know which ranges you should push and in which position.

Try the light version first : http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/8/

Here, you stated as an example 55 and A7 on the BTN, as other people said, it's an easy push preflop because we will be pot comitted anyways if we just minraise.

It always depends on the situation too for the amount to raise....depends on the stack sizes, blinds, etc.

Strategy section: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1532

Take care and good luck
      Simon
    • cekpirus88
      cekpirus88
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone for the help. I play live 1-2 times a week. small tournaments like 20-30 € each. I usually arrive at the final table but very very short... and usually I do not arrive in the top 4 because I am so short that 2-3 people can call my all inn very easy...last time I was all in with JJ and 2 guys called, 1 won with AKo after the flop 44A.... how I can arrive in the last table with more chips? maybe I am not so aggressive in some situations? thanks
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      There are a lot of possible explanations for why you don't get enough chips by the final table, and I'm afraid with the info we have we can't tell you, but the most common problem is not stealing the blinds enough, which is very very important in an MTT. MTT's are tough to play. As you're still a beginner, you may want to rethink the live tournaments for now, if your aim is to be winning money from them, until you're more experienced. The more aggressive you are, the more you need to learn to play more difficult hands postflop, which is not an easy skill to learn.
    • cekpirus88
      cekpirus88
      Bronze
      thanks for the reply :) ) Yes I guess you are true, I need to steal more blinds especially with the ante starts.. in beginner questions there is another topic, called MY TOURNAMENT, can you have a look if you like there and tell me your opinion? how often do you usually try to steal the blinds? Now I play many tournaments online, starting from 50 cent, because I read that you need to play just 2% of your starting money, is this true?:) )
      thanks
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      50-buy-in downswings are quite common in MTTs. A lot of the return from MTTs comes from making the top 3, and when you have a long streak of times you miss the top 3, you will tend to lose a lot. On the other hand, you aren't playing for a living, and if you lose what you have online, I would guess that it is more of an inconvenience than a disaster. That means you can be a little more aggressive with your bankroll than a professional would be.