Rush on demand advice

• Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      Hey fellow members.
      Due to rush week and being bored i've ventured into the rush on demand world.
      They seem really soft at 11+1$ lvl and also the rush mtts seems beatable for a big roi.

I was wondering about some things:
      BRM: ??
      Where to find videos and strategy as this site only has 1 video series as far as i know.
      Does the mtt coaching cover these?

That's it for know, going on vacation in 3 days and looking forward to some nice ideas and suggestions when i get back. :)

Take care guys.
  • 5 replies
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Leave rush now...........

2 Tournaments in a row you knocked me out... :D

I deserved the first because I refused to give your re-raise from the blinds any respect - 44 v QQ - but then my KK v AA - nasty!!!

On a more serious note just keep playing Tight, Aggressive ABC poker and you won't go far wrong.

Check out Aaron Lambert videos - not specifically for rush but 180 man MTT - same thing really.

BRM - up to you but I tend to be 100-200 BI before moving - the variance can be wild.

Good luck at the tables

Cheers

Jass

Edit: Just seen in another post that there are 3 videos for Rush On Demand MTTs - by Aaron - just search on his name in the video section
    • Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      Thanks.
      Hmm screenname? :) Need to put a note on you. :p
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      yeah, id say if you can move down, you can even go with 100bi BRM, but the variance can be pretty harsh
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      I'm not familiar with this type of tournament in particular. However, I can say a few things about bankroll management.

The bankroll you need to feel psychologically safe is up to you. The bankroll you need to be mathematically safe, to be able to weather the variance with a high probability of not going broke, is a math problem which you should not confuse with the amount it takes to feel safe. The amount you need to be mathematically safe depends on your win rate and the type of tournament you are playing. If you are not a winning player you will burn through any amount eventually. If you are a marginal winner you need a lot more to have the risk of ruin of someone with a solid win rate. So, when you ask what bankroll you need, this is similar to asking people who don't know you, "What's my win rate?" We don't know how well you play or whether you are a winner at all, although we can make educated guesses about what win rates are impossible.

Almost every time I have seen people give MTT bankroll advice, it has been far too optimistic compared with the bankroll advice in other forms of poker. I think fewer MTT players have played enough to see just how nasty the variance gets. 50 buy-in downswings are actually quite common for professionals grinding MTTs with very nice ROIs, and 100 buy-in downswings happen reasonably often. Maybe 100 MTT buy-ins makes a lot of people feel safe, but it does not make many mathematically safe. Although the word "buy-in" is the same, it is much easier to lose MTT buy-ins than STT or cash game buy-ins, so do not simply use whatever number of buy-ins your STT or cash game friends talk about.

A simple, widely applicable formula for bankroll management is

bankroll = comfort * standard deviation^2 / win rate.

Comfort is a value you choose which represents your personal risk tolerance and ability/willingness to move down if you hit a bad streak. A comfort level of 2 is aggressive. A comfort level of 4 is usually conservative.

Standard deviation and win rate should be measured in the same units, say buy-ins per tournament, so that a 40% ROI would be 0.4 buy-ins. Your standard deviation in MTTs depends on your playing style and on the effective size of the tournament, as well as the rebuy/add-on structure. For average (slightly losing) players in 45 player MTTs, the standard deviation is about 2.8 buy-ins per tournament. For 180 player MTTs, it is about 4.8 buy-ins. According to my records, my standard deviation in 180 player tournaments is between 9 and 10 buy-ins per tournament because I make the final 3 much more than par. For the WSOP main event with, say, 6000 players, the standard deviation for a typical player might be 12 buy-ins, but for some winning players it might be 30.

If you use these figures in the bankroll formula, you will get much larger bankroll recommendations than people usually pass around. I believe the math.
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lindberg789
      Thanks.
      Hmm screenname? :) Need to put a note on you. :p
      That would be telling... but rest assured I have notes on you :D