How important is it to use additional poker software?

• 14 replies
    • kacper1230
      kacper1230
      Bronze
      There are players who love to use programs to manage better score, and are players with great results without using any sort of program.
      When program is distracting you, it means you have very bad setting or you need to read/listen/learn more about using it.
      Overall programs are not important, can be usefull, arent necessary, you have to pick how you want to play ;) .
      Good Luck
      Have Fun
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kacper1230
      There are players who love to use programs to manage better score, and are players with great results without using any sort of program.
      I know of players who don't use HUDs when they play.

I don't know of any successful player that doesn't track his results and analyze his play.
    • Millsyuk
      Millsyuk
      Bronze
      Hold 'Em Manager is a must imo regardless of whether you want to use a HUD or not.
    • fakethat
      fakethat
      Bronze
      Hold'em manager is quite expensive though isn't it. Well, at least for someone (me) who is only playing free rolls now and still has to build up an acceptable bankroll.

I've seen videos about hold 'em manager though. And the guy in the videos from hold'em manager says it's most profitable for starting poker players that only poker micro and low limits. Most profitable when talking about the word "profitable" in the sense of "learning" I guess. But I don't even have a bankroll of 50,- yet so why spend a somewhere equal amount of money on tracking software?

I don't think I'll buy it at least for some time now. But I couldn't even get elephant to install untill a few days ago. That was the main reason why I questioned myself this.

What do you think about elephant Millsyuk?
    • Millsyuk
      Millsyuk
      Bronze
      I never used elephant as when I started playing poker I only played sit and gos which elephant doesn't (or didn't?) support.

Im pretty sure that Hold 'Em Manager offers a free trial for a month or so, if you're only playing freerolls atm then it might be worth waiting until you start playing cash games or sit and gos and then use the free trial and decide if you want it then.
    • Razvan123456
      Razvan123456
      Basic
      If you play in Real Life poker, you will take this software whit you? :) ))

Learn to read your opponent, to calculate all the variations possible when you see the cards.. Do not try to use some software to play better poker, because you will be a weaker player. In real life you must use your brain not your PC.

:s_cool:
    • Reaching4Zen
      Reaching4Zen
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Razvan123456
      If you play in Real Life poker, you will take this software whit you? :) ))

Learn to read your opponent, to calculate all the variations possible when you see the cards.. Do not try to use some software to play better poker, because you will be a weaker player. In real life you must use your brain not your PC.

:s_cool:
      Originally posted by kacper1230
      Overall programs are not important, can be usefull, arent necessary, you have to pick how you want to play ;) .

notsureifsrs.jpeg

Holdem Manager/Pokertracker are ESSENTIAL in the current poker 'climate'. If you don't have it, you're at an immediate disadvantage. There's a million ways you can get HEM for free (I got my HEM Pro from a rakeback promotion on FT).

Anyone who plays a significant volume of hands at the micro/lower stakes where there's a huge player pool, will advocate the use of poker programs.
    • kacper1230
      kacper1230
      Bronze
      O man, the program wont win money for you, you have to play, get better and better, and then you can get good profit.
      You dont need super program to check your game and find mistakes. HM/PT wont improve you by just having it.

Btw there is not many ways to get HM for free for him, if he doesnt want to spend his money from wallet.
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      You can get a 60 day trial for both PT3 and HEM. Reccomend you do that, to decide if you want to use additional software and to decide which one you prefer.
    • fakethat
      fakethat
      Bronze
      Ok so this is exactly the same as what I think about my own question.
      I think it's possible to learn even without Hold 'Em Manager.

To me it's like... if I would have software like Hold 'Em Manager, it would have pros and cons. First of all, I might quickly discover like 2 or 3 huge leaks.
      Wich is a positive thing. But I know what I'm like...

After adjusting these few things, I would expect to see it pay off. Because I would always want verification that it actually pays off. And so if it doesn't, I might get extra long or deep downswings. And get this "why" mentality, because "I even got very sophisticated software to have a good BR, why isn't it working??".

It's like sat-nav. Sure, it helps. However some people already by themselves know their way around. Navigation skills. Some people use their nagivation skills, but backed up a little by maps. Let's compare maps with charts. And then there's satnav. Same thing as Hold' Em Manager. So well.

That's my... understanding of it. You can have a good sense of direction, could have satnav. Or maybe you just use maps together with a good sense of direction. And maybe that's best in the end, because if you stop searching and stop looking because you think you've got the perfect device to maximize your profits. And for the example with satnav, if you stop thinking and rely 100% on your satnav, you'll get in trouble. The trick is not to do that.

But well. Hold 'Em Manager doesn't only make things easier, but it REQUIRES a lot of attention as well. A lot of figuring out. So sure, it delivers. But maybe it's just as time consuming as learning it by yourself.
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      To me, HEM or PT3 is absolutely essential...eventually. Right now, no. I suggest playing for a couple of months, finding a game you like and such, and then if you stick with Poker, buy it then. It's very necessary for evaluating play and results, saving HH's, looking at your stats, etc. and the HUD is very useful if you play a lot of tables, and decently useful if you don't. (Though reads trump stats.)

So you don't need it now, but if you keep playing, eventually you will. No rush.
    • Reaching4Zen
      Reaching4Zen
      Bronze
      every conceiveable way you can get HEM without spending money out your own pocket, is available. You can get HEM from sign up Bonus', as well as a bunch of rakeback deals. There's also private freeroll's where winners get HEM (forum based).

What other way could HEM be available for free that doesnt exist already?

Also, with the help of HEM database management, HH's, session reviews, Leak buster add-on, etc it will definitely help you become a better player. Not sure what your dig is with HEM/PT3 is.
    • Melissaash
      Melissaash
      Bronze
      ESSENTIAL

i find it more important for other players than my own game, why scramble my head with data when hem will do it all for me, the rock with a pfr % of 2% 3bets large, my KK hits the muck saving me many dollars

simples
    • giliNL
      giliNL
      Bronze
      Originally posted by esuohdla
      You can get a 60 day trial for both PT3 and HEM. Reccomend you do that, to decide if you want to use additional software and to decide which one you prefer.
      Unfortunately the trial period for HEM is only 15 days.

I installed PT3 today but I don't really like it. It has more functionality than Elephant, but the HUD is pretty crap imo, at least I don't find it very intuitive to use and also the program itself is just a bit odd.

I had hoped that after 60 days I'd be playing at high enough limits that the $80 or so won't matter as much as it does atm, but I don't think I'll be able to achieve that in 15 days for HEM and if I download and install it now I won't be able to live without in in two weeks time.. decisions, decisions :)

As for getting it for 'free', yes you can earn the license with rakeback bonusses / signup deals, but in the end it still means you have to pay for it, cause otherwise I could be playing towards a cash bonus. So the only difference is that it won't be money out of pocket.