Am i wasting my time playing micro omaha

• jokerstar77mucker
      jokerstar77mucker
      Bronze
      Here's the story im trying to learn omaha playing plo2, i know the rake is terrible but i figure the best place to learn as i wont lose to much!

Now the question is am i wasting my time as how can you put somebody on a hand if they limp play every hand and usually have three or more players on the river?
      Is it even possible to beat plo2 without being seriously lucky?
  • 15 replies
    • Tavbi123
      Tavbi123
      Bronze
      lol
      more fishes at the table, the more game is profitable
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      I'd try PLO10 with $400 bankroll or PLO25 with $800.

There is no big reason for PLO2 unless you are really starting out and need to familiarize with starting hands and so on.
    • jokerstar77mucker
      jokerstar77mucker
      Bronze
      Thanks man is the play much better at plo10, do you think 40 buy-ins is safe to play plo with considering im new enough to the game?

Could you recommend some place i could learn more about plo, i've watch the plo vids on here and tried to apply that but it didnt seem to work to well for me but then again i tried to use it on plo2!

Also is there anyone on PS thats a winner at micro plo that would be interested in doing a sweat or something as id really like to fix my leaks cause im down like 14 buy-ins over 10k hands so it cant just be donks lucking out the whole time!
    • sabo999
      sabo999
      Bronze
      MicroStakes PLO is a great place learn how to play for smaller amounts of $$..

that's were I learnt how to play the game.. and what I've found is it can be semi-profitable once you get the hang of it :)

But as for the first post, I find PLO10/PLO25 to be filled with more serious players.. Learn your strategies @ the Lower Levels and move up..with regards to players wanting to play every pot etc.. If anything that should help you improve your post-flop game!

Omaha is essentially a flop dependant game anyway! :)

Good Luck' :club:

Sabo :club:
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      I've not played any volumes at PLO2 (nor at my current stakes ~ PLO10) but I'd say that players are so bad that *if* you work hard at your game you can beat the rake. Ofc, this may just be wishful thinking on my part.

As for BRM I like (and am using) the following shot taking based method (which is valid if you're really working hard at your game I think, because of variance):

PLO5: $150 (moving down at $100 for BR preservation reasons)
      PLO10: $350 (50BIs at PLO5 + 10BIs at PLO10) moving down at $250
      PLO25: $750 (50 BIs at PLO10 + 10BIs at PLO25) moving down at $450
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I havent played long but I find micro plo hilarious, they get it all in with 2s3s on a 3 spade board and as for folding 2 pair! Just funny and HUGELY profitable.

Anyway, I'm crap at omaha and I play plo4 6max so I got Omaha Indicator; you get explanations and basic how to play stuff and it ranks starting hands.
      Learn to play at plo2 plo4 by all means or you will get owned higher up later.
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jokerstar77mucker
      Thanks man is the play much better at plo10, do you think 40 buy-ins is safe to play plo with considering im new enough to the game?

Could you recommend some place i could learn more about plo, i've watch the plo vids on here and tried to apply that but it didnt seem to work to well for me but then again i tried to use it on plo2!

Also is there anyone on PS thats a winner at micro plo that would be interested in doing a sweat or something as id really like to fix my leaks cause im down like 14 buy-ins over 10k hands so it cant just be donks lucking out the whole time!
      I think 40BI are OK even if you are just learning. I'd also recommend playing at William Hill or Poker770 because the competition there is insanely soft and very different to what we find in Stars (too tight) and FT (too loose/aggro).

I'll add you as friend so we can send PMs. I'll send you a link for a nice PLO book I have in my 4shared account.
    • jokerstar77mucker
      jokerstar77mucker
      Bronze
      Thanks alot guys i think im gonna wait till i have a big enough roll to play a little bit higher as plo2 is just insane and i feel im learning nothing there!

Im just going to try and learn some strategy for but it sends me on life time tilt, so if any come across any good material good you let me know please.

Accepted the invite black ops, dont like 888 software but il have a look at poker770 and might deposit some thing and just play to learn there as i was playing plo on stars with my proper bankroll and thats what was probably tilting me!
    • jokerstar77mucker
      jokerstar77mucker
      Bronze
      Thanks alot guys i think im gonna wait till i have a big enough roll to play a little bit higher as plo2 is just insane and i feel im learning nothing there!

Im just going to try and learn some strategy for but it sends me on life time tilt, so if any come across any good material good you let me know please.

Accepted the invite black ops, dont like 888 software but il have a look at poker770 and might deposit some thing and just play to learn there as i was playing plo on stars with my proper bankroll and thats what was probably tilting me!
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey man hope all is going well with your PLO.

Im playing PLO2 as well and ive started a blog meant for people just like yourself come and have a read and post some comments/questions over there.

I havent played many sessions yet but i think its definately worth it, its just so soft but i guess time will tell anway heres the link to my blog: Back to basics, PLO for beginners

Good luck mate,
      Carl
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      I have been doing the same recently - trying to get the general gist of PLO playing .01/.02 and have felt it instructive in working out starting hand requirements etc (i had literally never played PLO before) but got the impression very quickly that I would find it very challenging if not impossible to make it profitable to build a suitable bankroll to move up in stakes.

Observing even middle stakes tables I can see that what I'm playing at PLO2 is by no means the truest form of the game, however, without the experience i am gaining at these lower stakes I would never feel comfortable or confident jumping in at PLO10 and in that the time has been well spent.
      Found it tough to make much profit and its massively swingy (evan by PLO standards I am told) but you should at least break even easy enough.

Another thing you might consider is playing the shallow stack format - 40BB.
      In NLH I'm not a fan of this format but in PLO I think it has given me (as a noob) the opportunity to get to grips with the important flop decisions of this game (as you/I tend to commit yourself or give up on the flop when shallow stacked) rather than tackling strategies for every street all at once. Which I found a little overwhelming.
      Also easier to bankroll.

All the best.
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      This thread is very interesting, and the friend above made a nice point about the subject of micro PLO. This is not the game in its truest form. You won't be doing a lot of fantastic moves, won't 3-bet bluff OOP, won't even 3-bet with a suited rundown OOP if you play below PLO50 or so, won't float anyone but the obviously aggro regulars and so on.

The game is quite profitable, but the mistakes cost a lot too. You pick the right spots, value bet your fair share of nut hands and make money, but the more fancy you get the more you hit a stone wall with your bare fists (and by that I mean bluffing guys who are not capable of laying down almost anything, and thus handling them vast amounts of money which they shouldn't even be earning with such weak holdings and lack of skill).
      We have to repeat, repeat and repeat.... stay tight and value bet as much as possible.

It's easier said than done, because in practical life we get bored too often and end up playing marginal hands on bad positions that inevitably lead us to tough spots post-flop and, hence, to loss of money.
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      limp, get nuts, valuebet.
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      100 BI's,nothing less.

i'm very serious.
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      In my experience PLO2 is very easy to beat at a good rate in terms of BB/100 hands. Players there make such fundamental mistakes by playing way too tight or way too loose both pre and post-flop.

Check out the top winners on pokertableratings and you'll see there are a lot of guys beating the game for 10BB+ over a good sample size.

If you're new I'd suggest you start at low limits. You don't need to play many hands but if you aren't confident you're beating the game you shouldn't move up.

Remember PLO is swingy so unless you're happy to redeposit you should follow relatively strict BRM. Make sure you study the game a lot (the hand eval on here is great) as it's easy to be results orientated.

If you're worried about rake make sure you're playing at one of the sites with the lowest rake or a decent rakeback deal.