Bad Beat Perseverance

• jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Hi,

Wasn't sure where to post this thread so......

A little background.

Played for 15 months
      Played 3000+ MTTs
      33% ROI

I have just had a break of 3 months from Poker to concentrate on real life issues and on my return to Poker and Pokerstrategy was dismayed to see how many posts there were here about Bad Beats and rigged sites.

But then I thought back to when I was learning to play and realised that I too would vent my feelings about Bad Beats (never rigged sites!!).

One of the pieces of advice that I found most useful was that if you were playing winning poker - you would be committing to pots with the best hand - so it stood to reason that you would suffer more bad beats than you gave to others.

Obviously when you are on a run of bad variance, you can still shout at your computer 'For fuck's sake give me a break!!!' - as I did only yesterday
      when the world seemed against me - culminating in my post flop trips QQQ crushing 88 only to see runner, runner, 88 for quads - not sure of the odds on that one, but guess that they are pretty high.

I took a break and looked at my stats - 90% ROI for the last 100 tournaments - and went back and came 3rd - wiping out all the bad beats I had suffered.

Perseverance... that's what you need to succeed.

Variance is short term, skill is long term.

Cheers :D
  • 11 replies
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Hey jass1960,

You are correct. Eventually in poker, you will get rewarded if you make the good plays.

MTTs are a form of poker with huge variance therefore they can be the most frustrating form because you can be out of the money for a lonnnng time making you feel like you are not good anymore, while in fact, it's only variance.

I am glad that your story finishes well with a nice 3rd place(And congrats for that!) and remember that if you keep playing your optimal game there's no reason for it to eventually work :) .

In everything you do in life, patience and perseverance always pays.

Take care

Simon
    • Fiskantes
      Fiskantes
      Coach
      Coach
      they can be the most frustrating form because you can be out of the money for a lonnnng time

On the other hand, It keeps your ego down, so you can better focus on imrpoving the game and waiting for the big hit to come.

In everything you do in life, patience and perseverance always pays.

Golden words!
    • BrinkyBill
      BrinkyBill
      Bronze
      What Buy-ins are you playing, because I'm really impressed with your ROI.
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BrinkyBill
      What Buy-ins are you playing, because I'm really impressed with your ROI.
      I was playing $4 Rush on Demand on FT - very fishy with a few good regs - now on STARS playing MTT only.
    • TakeManies
      TakeManies
      Bronze
      How do you deal with a bad beat at a final table of an MTT?

Recently I've been making final tables of low stake games then busting out with like AK v AJ etc and I really struggle to maintain a level mind in any other MTTs I have loaded. I just can't seem to handle the fact I'm getting $40 back when it should be closer $250, I do tell myself I'm making the right plays and in the long term blah blah but that doesn't pay for the yayo!!
    • Adam667001
      Adam667001
      Bronze
      it hurts that much more when your deep i know. two days ago i came in 10th, just before the FT, i had AK he had A9 and he hit a 9 on the river. and yea, i got 70 us where as i think the top 4 were above 1 K so when one of the players enter "gg adam" in the chat window i could on reply with " stfu. just stfu."

but a few hours later i placed 2nd for 800 us so it really makes it worth while when you just keep to your game and most importantly, dont increase the buy-in. i made that mistake waaaay to many times in my first 6 months.
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      when the world seemed against me - culminating in my post flop trips QQQ crushing 88 only to see runner, runner, 88 for quads - not sure of the odds on that one, but guess that they are pretty high.

0.1% chance of that happening. That is just one sick bad beat.
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      I'm glad I saw this post but "eventually it evens out"... when??? What is "eventually" really? it's sickening I keep losing to 3 outers.

I try to not be result-oriented but sometimes I can't do it
    • FakeLunatic
      FakeLunatic
      Bronze
      I once had more than 20bi downswing which stretched over 100k hands, and then in next 20k I made it all back plus some more. It was rush tho, just to make it clear this didnt last for months :D
      And I have to admit, those 100k hands made me alot better player than I was before, downswings are good, they force you to doubt your game, what you do with your doubt is another story :)
    • DustyMonk
      DustyMonk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by stevegold87
      <snip>

...and remember that if you keep playing your optimal game there's no reason for it to eventually work :) .

</snip>
      Oh so true. (Read carefully)
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DustyMonk
      Originally posted by stevegold87
      <snip>

...and remember that if you keep playing your optimal game there's no reason for it to eventually work :) .

</snip>
      Oh so true. (Read carefully)
      Yeah saw it earlier! I hope the opposite is true :D