regs limp with pairs

• jasonforan
      jasonforan
      Gold
      I find alot of the times regs limp early position with pocket pairs in the early stages of the game and with this read Im wondering what is the best way to play pocket pairs in EP during the early stages.Im guessing raising is a little too loose right?Would call fold be the best option to a raise?And limping EP all the time with pocket pairs arent I basically just playing my cards face up?
  • 3 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      If the only hands you can have when you limp are low pocket pairs, then your play is exploitable, and players like me will exploit you. However, it could be that you will still profit because on average you will encounter more really bad players than observant good players. They will overlimp with something like K7s and then pay off your sets with TPWK or two pair. I rarely open limp, but my students make a profit when they open limp with low pairs in low stakes SNGs, so I can't say that open-limping is wrong. Just be aware that you are not playing solid poker, you are counting on your opponents to make mistakes.

Raising is a possible alternative, although there is a big difference between raising with low pairs and raising with medium pairs. If you make a cbet and then check down a medium pair, it will win more often than if you check down a low pair.

It is perfectly reasonable to open-fold low pairs if you don't think you can profitably limp or raise with them.
    • jasonforan
      jasonforan
      Gold
      thanks for the post pzhon,enjoying your videos aswell :D
    • pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      i find that especially in micro FR MTT's in early stage (60BB+), it's probably the best to limp from early position with low pairs and call an eventual raise. I find it a great way to double up often cuz around 4 players will call that raise anyways and then get broke with top pair, often with worse like some kind of weak draw... I basically never limp since i just hate such play but i think in micro stakes it is more than ok to limp with low pocket pair... When the blinds get higher, it is a different story :)