Table Selection Questions

• Millsyuk
      Millsyuk
      Bronze
      Only moved to cash games this week so would appreciate it if some of the cash regs could answer these.

Is simply using Players/Flop a reliable enough method of table selecting? Is it worth investing in Table Scanner for HEM or an alternative?

How many regs is too many at a table? So many people are mass multitabling on Stars now. When I was playing SNGs I would normally avoid tables where there were more than two regs. Seems different in cash games in that I'm generally going to have a large sample against them and they are predictable to play against. Obviously they're very tight though and so play very few hands, how much is playing against these players going to affect your winrate?

Thanks
  • 10 replies
    • sapheal
      sapheal
      Global
      hi Millsyuk :heart: ,

Using Players/Flop is a good approach. Still, it's better to use more than this. For instance, your own notes or looking for players with incomplete stat. Also, having table scanners is a good option.

Playing against regs only with influence your winrate drastically. Still, it's very rare that there are only regs at the table. Still, playing with regs may help you learn how to adjust and play better on tight tables.

Cheers,
      Michal
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      players/flop and avg pot size is a start. Also, what helps a lot, is to color-code the fish. I play on stars, and there I color-code the fish and when I want to start a session I scan the lobby and if there is a color-coded fish at the table, I'm fist-pump-joining the table :s_cool:
    • Millsyuk
      Millsyuk
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies.

Player notes is huge like you both said along with colour coding. Have just been using players/flop and VPIP and then colour coding everyone once I have a half decent sample size on them. Colour coding is useful along with table manager in HEM to manage tables whilst playing as well.

I just downloaded TableScan Turbo which is still in beta so is free atm, looks promising!
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      Millsyuk, tablescan turbo is the s*it ! :D Especially in the micros, where there is a huge player pool and it would take some time to browse the lobby, this program does it automatically for you. If you have any questions regarding Tablescan Turbo feel free and ask, I have played with it quite a bit :D
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bmfbpi
      Millsyuk, tablescan turbo is the s*it ! :D Especially in the micros, where there is a huge player pool and it would take some time to browse the lobby, this program does it automatically for you. If you have any questions regarding Tablescan Turbo feel free and ask, I have played with it quite a bit :D
      Can you enter a list of players in table scan turbo and let him sit you at all the tables these players are playing on (or sticking you in the waiting list)? I am talking about cash games

Cheers
    • Millsyuk
      Millsyuk
      Bronze
      Bmpfi, am finding it very useful so far and works well with HEM, good thing is that it is only going to work better the longer you play and your database size improves. Only annoying thing is it turns off cleartype when searching so messes up your HEM HUD if you have a lot of stats and use a small font. I tend to use it when starting a session now though or when I realise a few of my tables aren't great anymore so not a huge problem.

Only thing I did wonder is what parameters you used for the fish definitions? Don't know how good the built in ones are and they're not very in depth. I changed mine slightly but am sure they're not perfect as I haven't been playing cash for very long.
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      Dublimax and Millsyuk, I'm at work right now, but I will get back to you guys once I get home(don't know all this stuff from my head)
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dublimax
      Originally posted by bmfbpi
      Can you enter a list of players in table scan turbo and let him sit you at all the tables these players are playing on (or sticking you in the waiting list)? I am talking about cash games

Cheers
      let me tell you how much I rule, lol (joking):
      1. Configure-> Buddy List-> Add New Buddy-> Select Pokersite->Add Screenname and make sure that Count Buddies as Fish has a check-mark next to it.
      2. Configure->Auto-Waitlist->Player Filters->Add New Filter->Filter by Player Type-> Buddies-> Save Player Filter

and start crushing :s_cool:
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Millsyuk
      Bmpfi, am finding it very useful so far and works well with HEM, good thing is that it is only going to work better the longer you play and your database size improves. Only annoying thing is it turns off cleartype when searching so messes up your HEM HUD if you have a lot of stats and use a small font. I tend to use it when starting a session now though or when I realise a few of my tables aren't great anymore so not a huge problem.

Only thing I did wonder is what parameters you used for the fish definitions? Don't know how good the built in ones are and they're not very in depth. I changed mine slightly but am sure they're not perfect as I haven't been playing cash for very long.
      as I currently still play in the micros, the only fish definition I use is VPIP >40, over at least 50-100 hands. That's all you need
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      @ bmfbpi: added you as a friend. Need to know more about table scan turbo :D
      if you are playing micro we could come up with something cool