my tournament

• cekpirus88
      hi everyone I am quite new here and I d like to know if I played correctly this hands in a tournament, for real, in a small club, 20-30 € freezout.

1) In this hand I have pocket 10, I limp for early position (150 small blind, 300 big blind) there is one raise at 750, 2 player called and I called too. the flop is 8 8 5 . I check, the player that raised before bets 600, one player fold another player called, I raised to 1300 because I thought that he had like A Q or A K. He re raise all inn.. so I had to fold.. Later he told me that he had A 8, very strange play to raise in early position with A 8...

2) I have A J , again in early position. I know that the charts says to fold this hand but I have a suited ace and the blind is still not so expensive, 300. I limp and few player called. the board is J 8 3 . I think, I have top pair and top kicker, I bet 1000, everyone folds except one player. the turn is 5 , the other guy checks I bet again, this time 2000, trying to discourage him if he wanted to make a straight, again the other player goes all-inn and I have to fold, also with 3 diamond on the board. I asked later what he had and he said Q Q... I did not understand why he did not raise before the flop...

3) After this 2 unlucky hands I arrive almost at the final table, very short just 5500 chips with the blinds 800. I am on the button 2 players folds and I have A 6 I decided to move all inn, because the blinds were quite expensive and in few hands I will be broke (400-800 with 100 ante...). the big blinds decide to call he had pocket 5, nothing happened and he won.

did I play correctly in these 3 situations? thank
  • 6 replies
    • Castle93
      okay, i didnt even have to read all of it to think stop limpin in early position , raise or fold, yu have no benefit in limpin, nuffin wrong with playing AJ if yu have enough chips but dont limp its horrible play in early position

As for the pocket 10s, yu shouldnt of limped with them their too strong and dramatically weaken in a mutiway pot, raise to isolate

hope this helps
    • TiciBoy
      First two hands are horribly played. :f_mad: As said, don't limp from early position...or if you don't feel safe playing this type of hands OOP (out of position) postflop, just fold.
      Last hand was na OK shove if blinds are tight players. Also depends on their stacks, how many playres get paid, how many players left, etc.
    • cekpirus88
      I did not understand so well how you would have played the 2 hands described... I am quite new, do I do not know what I did wrong. thanks
    • pzhon
      In contrast with your other responses, I think your play was ok, particularly for live games.

You should consider raising preflop with TT and AJs, but open-limping in early position can be ok. This can encourage players to enter the pot with worse hands so that they can make second-best hands. In some live games, a raise will often not make the pot heads-up, and then you will have a mediocre hand out of position in a large pot. Instead, you might get more value in a smaller pot, and you would have room to draw.

There is no real alternative to pushing with A6 on the button in hand 3. It doesn't matter whether the blinds are tight or loose. If they are loose, then you will often get called by worse. If they are tight, then you will often take the blinds and A6 will still have decent equity against their calling ranges.
    • Salivanth
      Hi cekpirus: You asked me to reply on this thread, but pzhon is a better and more eloquent player than I will ever be. I agree with his statement wholeheartedly.
    • purplefizz
      thanks pzhon for helping us out there :D you're great :) glad to see you posting around here more to give insight to our newer members :f_love:

ps live play is so drastically different from online for me. i like hands which play well multiway because pots are almost always multiway.