max protection

• 7 replies
    • OOMMbager
      OOMMbager
      Bronze
      ofcourse that you must protect your hand,but you must balance betwen hand protection and value betting. You must bet ammount that your opponent might call but with wrong odds :f_biggrin:
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      you can bet pot when you're playing against more than two opponents on a OESD/Flushdraw board,to give your hand maximum protection.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      You do not need to bet huge amounts. You also need to keep in mind that the fact that a flush draw is possible does not mean your opponent has a flush draw. Even if someone always plays suited cards (and never plays pairs or hands like AQo) then the chance that he has the flush draw on a two-tone flop is lower than 1/4 because there are fewer cards of that suit left in the deck. Since people play offsuit hands, the chance that your opponent has the flush draw is lower. You should not play badly against 90% of your opponent's hands in a desperate attempt to protect yourself against the last 10%.

Another part of protecting your hand is not paying off a large amount on average after the draw hits. If you bet the pot, and then pay off two pot-sized bets after the flush hits, you are making it profitable to draw against you. You should also make some bets when you will not pay off later, or when you have the nut flush draw and so you are happy when the flush hits.
    • sapheal
      sapheal
      Global
      Originally posted by legand73
      when holding a strong made hand, do i always need to bet for maximum protection on a two suited flop?
      legand73 :) :s_love: ,

I'd never say you always have to do something. Please, specify, what sort of hand and what sort of boards you want to talk about.

I will be definitely able to help you here. Just ask a more precise question.

Cheers,
      Michal
    • legand73
      legand73
      Silver
      I just mean say i have AdKd and the board is something like 5h2h2c previously i have been betting pot size for maximum protection thinking that i have needed to do so because of the possible flush draw but i have since then changed my thinking because just because there is a flush draw possible doesn't mean that the villain WILL have it.
    • dochazard
      dochazard
      Bronze
      Trying to learn from this thread as well, and I don't seem to see why you would make PSBs on a flop like that if you don't have a made hand (AKs). Why not just a 0.5pot cbet?

Now if it was a MADE hand like you indicated in the initial post, then having PSB at the top-end of your cbetting range should be correct against the calling stations, right?
    • legand73
      legand73
      Silver
      yeah sorry sratch that say Kh2h2c rather thanks for pointing that out