[NL20-NL50] NL 25 SH 97s bet turn?

• Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Hero ($41.45)
      UTG ($32.20)
      MP ($24)
      CO ($33.10)
      Button ($24.50)
      SB ($31.85)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7, 9.
      1 fold, MP raises to $0.75, 2 folds, SB calls $0.65, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($2.25) 2, 7, 9 (3 players)
      SB bets $1.75, Hero raises to $5, MP folds, SB calls $3.25.

Turn: ($12.25) 5 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $10, SB calls $10.

River: ($32.25) 4 (2 players)
      SB bets $16.1 (All-In), Hero calls $16.10.

Final Pot: $64.45

If I bet turn, I can´t fold river. He might be on the flush draw or have 9x. The worst hand I afraid is set. but set would probably 4-bet on the flop. Called pre-flop, since I got quite good odds, my hand wouldn´t probably dominated and I could hit monster flop.
  • 4 replies
    • Pygmalion
      Pygmalion
      Bronze
      Nh, I think you've played this hand completely correctly. The only range of hands that make sense for your opponent to be holding is TT, JJ, AJ+ or a pair that flopped a set 99, 77 or 22. Conceivably, your opponent could be holding AJ+ and be running a bluff on the river (trying rto represent a set) but if this is the case, take his name and number and be sure to follow him around....:D

I discount pocket 44 and 55 because if he's holding those you've still made the correct play and the opponent is drawing to a two outer to your reraise on the flop. If he's holding 44 or 55, he got lucky and there's nothing you can do about that. You'll make money off him in the long run.

I don't think he's holding higher than JJ because of preflop action. If he had QQ+ he SHOULD reraise the 3BB bet. either way, if he's holding TT+ you've played correctly and induced an all in...i.e. you get paid.

The only three hands you need worry about are 99,77 and 22. And to be fair, a player at SB holding a middle to low pocket pair may just call the raise for set value. However, a player only hits his set once out of every nine times so in my opinion I think it's safe to play the way you do because 8 out of nine times if he's holding a pocket pair, he has not hit his set. Admittedly, no decent player is calling a strong reraise withough a decent hand so then you should consider you experience with the player. if he's a solid player give him more respect, i.e. a check behind on the turn. if he's aggressive/loose, take your line.

I think on the whole you played this hand correctly, or at lease the way I would play it. Hopefully a more experienced player will either confirm what I'm saying or tell you why I (and you) are wrong.
    • Pygmalion
      Pygmalion
      Bronze
      oh, I suppose your opponent could also have called preflop with 8s6s for the same reasons you did, in which case he would be drawing to 15 outs on the flop (FD + OESD). In which case you are about 55% - 45% underdog (I think...i'm too lazy to check the exact stats on an odds calculator). Conceivable. And still roughly a coin toss. And you have a made hand on the flop. Bet hard and punish his draws like you're doing.

Not sure how you woould read a hand like 8s6s on. Thorsten? Pushkin? Also suspect a hand like 86o would have trouble laying that down to a reraise on that flop. either way, I THINK your plays still correct....punish the draws!
    • nttflox
      nttflox
      Bronze
      nh

On the other hand I don't see a set 4-betting on flop. I wouldn't. Given your raise it's pretty obvious you're not on a draw and there's no need to protect. I think villain can slowplay here, but I still like your play. ;)
    • Thorsten77
      Thorsten77
      Black
      I like the line. A set often calls you on the flop instead of 4-betting as the latter scares most hands out of the pot...