Severe downswing and mis-use of limits

• RustyShacklefordMD
      RustyShacklefordMD
      Bronze
      Good afternoon. It's nice to be making my first post.

I've gone from $50 down to under $12 in the last few days. Partly due to bad calls (30%-40% would be an accurate amount, I'd say), partly due to atrocious luck (I got sucked out while all-in with AA in four $2 heads-up games in a row).

Now recently, this:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p112/keenneeddyyyy/Untitled-1-106.png

I'm having a really tough time dealing with it, and I'm only just now (at under $12) dropping down to six-ring .01/.02 games.

Some of the problems I have is that I'm unsure of how to identify my mistakes, and how to legitimately improve. I'm also worried that with only this amount left, recouping my losses will be extremely difficult.

I'm sure this is a common question asked around here, but with my current mind frame, I'd really appreciate any advice or suggestions you could offer.

Thank you in advance.
  • 8 replies
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      With such a small bankroll I would try playing a really tight strategy with a short stack. Maybe Fr nl2

Im no expert but thats what I would do, im sure one of the ps experts will be along soon to help :P

Good luck!!

Roo
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi there,

glad to see you making your first post as well :)
      sorry to hear about your difficulties. but i hope you realize now the importance of bankroll management to keep from going bust when variance is not on your side. it is practically guaranteed that you will experience bad beats. this is the nature of poker, and part of what makes it exciting. it is a familiar feeling for me, as there has been periods of time when AAs, KK, AK were losing hands for me. losing with them 12 times in a row may seem unlikely but are absolutely possible actually.

it will be a little tough to play with a $12br since you will have no comfortable cushion if bad luck hits you (or you go on tilt and misplay some hands). i think your best bet would be to go with the lowest variance games like roo has suggested. 6handed and esp HU can be really swingy.

i also suggest you to really study up on your game to make sure that you are not making many mistakes. how about you read some articles and watch some videos first?
      when you are tilting, take a short break from the tables and breathe.
      make sure you are focused 100% on your game and not chatting/checking emails at the same time.

lastly, forget what you have lost. there is nothing you can do about it now. instead, focus on what you have and accept it, and start working with it. i mean, the 50 was free right? if you thought from the beginning that you were receiving free $12, you wouldnt be sad about that, right?

rough times like these are really important in a poker players life in my opinion because they force us to look at ourselves closely, realize our mistakes and hopefully improve from there.

oh my this has been such a wall of text. hope it helps you.

smiles,
      wendy
    • RustyShacklefordMD
      RustyShacklefordMD
      Bronze
      Thank you so much for your replies. They've been very helpful.

Could you suggest a game type with less variance?
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      2c/4c full ring fixed limit holdem.

12 dollarz is 300 big bets (BB), 600 blinds. pretty standard BR management.

read small stakes holdem and all the bronze articles under that section and you'll be well on your way to rebuilding your BR.
    • RustyShacklefordMD
      RustyShacklefordMD
      Bronze
      Thank you. I'll read up on the format, do a bit of miscellaneous study and attempt it when I'm feeling more on-form. :)

Also, I'm sure this is a very frequent question and you're all sick of hearing it by now, but is there any really essential poker programs I should be using?

Also, is there any chart/program/etc. that can tell me what odds a given hand has of winning?
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      We're happy to help! As for programs, there are some essential ones, but none that are really essential at this stage of your poker career. There is a free program called the PokerStrategy.com Equilator, that the site offers, that you can find here, that lets you see the odds of a hand winning.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/10/

You can input simulations into there, preflop or postflop. You can even put in a group of hands, like you think your opponent has a monster hand: QQ+, AK. You can see what your equity is against that group of hands, or insert a group of hands for yourself (Such as the hands you're willing to raise with in a certain position). Once you get the hang of it, it's a very useful tool.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      thanks datsmahname and salivanth :f_love: you guys rock! it makes me sooo happy to see you helping other members. :D

i agree with you. the PokerStrategy.com Equilator is a must-have for me :) i use it all the time.
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      Originally posted by RustyShacklefordMD
      Thank you. I'll read up on the format, do a bit of miscellaneous study and attempt it when I'm feeling more on-form. :)

Also, I'm sure this is a very frequent question and you're all sick of hearing it by now, but is there any really essential poker programs I should be using?

Also, is there any chart/program/etc. that can tell me what odds a given hand has of winning?
      you're right, they are common questions... and really necessary ones, but not the most important questions.

What i mean by that is you'll probably be a lot better off creating a solid foundation before you introduce to much complexity. Develop your skills as a player, your game, and rely on that. This is what we need most, above charts and programs.

Trying to learn everything at once is much more likely to leave you confused about the huge variety of complex topics which you will come across during a poker education.

Charts and programs give you such clear and simple information that its easy to figure we understand all of what it means. However, a surface level understanding will not give you enough knowledge to justify changing your strategy as the game changes.

Charts will be found in books and articles. Equilab is a helpful program developed by pokerstrategy, I'd suggest that one for comparing probabilities above all others... I've tried several.