Two questions about the basic articles

• BreadWarden
      BreadWarden
      Silver
      Hey there, I've got two questions about post flop play according to the basic articles.

1) On the flop, if I've got top pair, and there is a bet and a raise before me, or a raise and reraise after I bet, do I fold or call? I know that it could depend on the situation, but I just want the general rule on what to do, like all of the basic articles do.

2) Does top pair still count as top pair if the board is paired? For example, if the board is QQ7, and I have AA, and I contibet, then get raised, do I act as if I have top pair and call, or do I fold like I don't. I know that the more players there are, more chance someone has the trips, etc, but just what would be the general thing to do here?

Thanks
  • 3 replies
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      1) As a general rule, if you play competent players, you should probably fold. As you guessed it, every situation is different. If you know both players are maniacs and like to bluff alot, you can easily shove. But if player who reraised (or both) are solid TAGs, you are probably behind and it is no mistake to fold TPTK. Also, there are a lot of other things to consider (are you a preflop aggressor, what limits are you playing, do you play FR or SH...).

2) AA on a QQ7 board is not top pair. It is an overpair. ;) Top pair would be KQ on KJ4 board. For your example...Again it depends on your opponent. If you know he is capable raising with worse hands, raise again. Maybe you can also call and reevaluate on turn. If he is a passive player, but now he shows aggression, it is better to fold.

As you will play more, you'll find out there is not so many "general rules". Your actions mostly depend on players you are facing.
    • BreadWarden
      BreadWarden
      Silver
      Thanks for the help! I guess if poker was as easy as following a few rules for every situation everyone could do it. There's usually one or two people at the table who seem super aggressive or passive, but most players are more normal so it's tougher to know what to do against them, I guess I'll just get better at it the more I play.
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Yeah, one of the first lessons in Poker is "The answer to every question in Poker is "It depends."" In any case, the basic articles are meant to be guidelines. You will eventually learn where they are incorrect or simplified as your postflop skill improves.