Need a bit of Poker business help.

• 6 replies
    • fryandspicy
      I think most regular home games would rather keep the unprofessional feel - if nothing else because this service is basically added rake and part of the appeal of home games is you avoid a rake. Also be kind of weird if there was just a stranger sitting in my kitchen whilst we all played poker :P

However there may be a certain appeal for stag dos or strange business events or something? Good luck

EDIT: If it were legal I can envisage pubs using this for a poker night too. Not that that's much help
    • thazar
      Hi Dreamseller22

Have you checked the legality and the licencing you would need with the UK gambling commission.

I know the industry is very regulated in the UK

Best regards

• dreamseller22
      Thanks for the tips, fryandspicy. I hadn't considered the stag parties (bit slow, heats getting to me haha) but that's actually quite helpful :)

And Thazar, I have checked through the licencing and laws of gaming in the UK and there shouldn't be a problem with home games so long as they're not open to the public, and with pubs etc. the premises has to be licenced. Thanks for the help though!
    • joeldowey123
      i kind of agree with fryandspicy, i love homegames because its just you and your mates playing cards, few beers and some good laughs

The most we talked about was getting a dealer in for like £7-8 an hour or something, but that was the height of it.

good luck though, i can def see business/stag do's up for this
    • EagleStar88
      Hi Dreamseller22 & welcome to the forum,

It's a great idea, I like it, but in all honesty I think your market will be very limited.

I & a few work friends used to regularly hold our own home games. Most of the fun from the event actually comes from the fact that's it's informal and you can relax or mess around a bit. We often used to start late after rolling in from work (or the pub) ;)

We used to have the previous winner staging the next one. They would just order in a couple of pizza's using their winnings from last time and everyone attending would bring beer. Everyone was happy shuffling and self-dealing.

With such a low pizza cost (there's usually a 2 for 1 deal on somewhere) these days and even our local poker club offering us the use of a whole back room + dealer for the night for just £10 (just £3 an hour for room+staff!) I think you will struggle to make a margin for regular events (need to factor in costs for your own time, travel, public indemnity insurance etc).

I do however agree with the other community members that there may be a "special event/birthday/one-off" type market. Needs more research first though of course.

Hope this hasn't come across too negative, genuinely wanted it to be helpful & constructive to you.

Good luck, hope it works out for you :)

• dreamseller22
      bart, definitely didn't come across as negative. when starting any sort of business or new idea it's always best to hear peoples pros and cons so you know what to do right. Thank you everyone for the help though :)