Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP3:
      $4
      Hero:
      $5.49

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.101 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with T:heart: , T:club:
      MP3 raises to $0.12, Hero calls $0.12, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0.30) Q:spade: , 7:heart: , 2:diamond: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.17, Hero calls $0.17.

Turn: ($0.64) 6:diamond: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.42, Hero??.

Final Pot: $1.06

I'm not happy with how I played this hand in general. I think I may have played my pockets a little too passively pre-and post-flop. Questions:

1. Should I have 3-bet pre-flop, aiming to call a 4-bet by the villain if he plays back and hope to hit a set on the flop?

I figure a 4-bet by villain narrows his range to QQ+, AK, AQs which means I should shut down if I don't hit the flop.

A call of my 3bet probably adds 88+, AJ+ and KQ to that range. I would probably Cbet dry flops and shut down on the turn. Or check fold wet flops I did not hit.

2. Should I have re-raised his small(ish) cbet on the flop? I felt that my passive call on the flop allowed to make a more aggressive bet on the turn which (I felt) forced my fold.

3. I'm trying to wrap my head around using the pokerstrategy tools for post-game analysis. I'm gonna give it a crack now :f_grin: , please correct my logic, make suggestions etc.

I've noticed that the Villain's PFR stat is 18%. Using equilab, I make this a range of: 66+,A9s+,K9s+,Q9s+,J9s+,A9o+,KTo+,QTo+,JTo

Plugging in this range against my ThTc preflop gives me a 58:42 advantage. Given that I had to put 12c in to win 18c I think the call was definitely on.

On the flop I'm 53:47 ahead against his PRE-FLOP range. However, post-flop, i've been told villain's range should have narrowed as we can throw away the trashier part of his range. I'm not sure about this. I don't have villain's exact cbet % but I assume it's very high which implies he would cbet regardless, so we can keep his preflop raise range. His 17c into a 30c pot means it's +ve EV to call the cbet.

On the turn, the 55:45 ahead, but his raise of 42c int a 64c pot means I don't have to pot odds to call so I should fold (??).

4. Please feel free to offer alternative lines to the one that I've taken above.

thanks for the help! :)
  • 8 replies
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey Pygmalion,

This is SSS/MSS part of the forum, but you play with a full stack. I'll ask the mod to move the hand for you to correct part of the forum in order to get correct evaluation.

Best regards,
      burek2000
    • Pygmalion
      Pygmalion
      Bronze
      Ah whoops! apologies for that mix up. :$ thanks for arranging the hand to be moved. I'll check the BSS forum for a response. Thanks for the help! :)
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Not a problem Pygmalion,

<moved to bss>

Bart
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Pygmalion,

1. Should I have 3-bet pre-flop, aiming to call a 4-bet by the villain if he plays back and hope to hit a set on the flop?

Nah, ain't worth to 3bet while you even have position on him. And basically with 3betting you can just isolate yourself against better hands.

2. Should I have re-raised his small(ish) cbet on the flop? I felt that my passive call on the flop allowed to make a more aggressive bet on the turn which (I felt) forced my fold.

Nah, I wouldn't really raise. You just turning your hand then into bluff because you ain't gonna continue if he 3bets you.

Without knowing the opponents CBets it's hard to know how he does play postflop. Only thing I see right now from AF is that he can be very aggressively so he may easily even continue with weaker pairs sometimes, even some draws and of course FD on turn. But most likely it's safer to fold the hand. His W$SD is huge as well and WTSD is very small which could easily indicate that he usually does the CBets for value.

Best regards.
    • Pygmalion
      Pygmalion
      Bronze
      Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated!

To summarise, the way I played the hand (with calls pre-and post-flop and the fold on the turn to villain's aggression) is correct (?)

Would it be possible to get a response/comments to questions 3. & 4. In my original post?

Thanks again for the help! :)
    • Pygmalion
      Pygmalion
      Bronze
      "And basically with 3betting you can just isolate yourself against better hands." I've heard this before and I'm not sure I fully understand what is meant by it. My understanding is that by 3betting, only better hands are going to call you. However, I would think this is desirable as it gives u a clearer indication of what range you are playing against and allows you to take down the pot immediately against the trashier part of the Villain's range. Is my thinking flawed?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      About the 3rd & 4th question there is not much to add. If I do not comment then usually means your thoughts are correct. :) Only thing I'd comment is that he ain't raising on turn but betting. ;) And I would rather still fold the hand on turn as you did unless I know about the opponent more. About his postflop play and etc.

Isolating yourself against better hands means exactly that you are going to make him fold a lot worse hands and maybe at the best get a coinflip. What's your plan if you even would 3bet there, would you go broke?
    • Pygmalion
      Pygmalion
      Bronze
      Hmmmm. I'm still not sure I'm following the isolating argument. But I think I just need to take time to think about carefully.

Thanks for the help Veriz! Much appreciated! :)