the yo-yo effect?

• belayd
      belayd
      Global
      I quit poker recently and barely thought about it for a couple of weeks. Now, however, I'm wondering whether I should consider playing again.

I had two reasons for quitting: (1) I was a losing player and hated losing, but didn't have enough drive to put in the work needed to become a winning player; (2) suckouts destroyed my mood more often than not.

I can afford to lose moderate amounts of money while becoming a winning player. My losses from March to May were an average of $80 per month, which isn't exorbitant. But I'm wondering whether I'm not just experiencing some kind of standard yo-yo effect, where a player quits for a while, gets some distance and perspective, forgets what made him come to hate poker, and starts thinking about giving it another try.

I wanted to create a poll to ask people to vote whether they think I should CONSIDER playing online poker again--not necessarily play it, but think about it. Unfortunately, the message creation option doesn't let me make a poll. So I'm just asking: what are your thoughts on the matter?
  • 5 replies
    • Krist2ps
      Krist2ps
      Bronze
      It's up to you to play or not.

But don't think you'll become winning player just that, you HAVE to work hard, so if you can't find that drive to put in study, nobody can't help you. Right now Im switching from MTT's to CG and from winning player became loosing, but Im not giving up just yet.
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by Krist2ps
      It's up to you to play or not.
      I realize there might be a language barrier, but I was asking whether I should CONSIDER playing or not. I'm a very long way from actually playing again.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Whilst he may have misunderstood your post, I think his answer still stands. If you think something will make you happy or let you have fun at an expenditure you can afford, then of course you should consider it. So essentially it's up to you whether you feel that poker is fun for you.
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by Wriggers
      Whilst he may have misunderstood your post, I think his answer still stands. If you think something will make you happy or let you have fun at an expenditure you can afford, then of course you should consider it. So essentially it's up to you whether you feel that poker is fun for you.
      I'm concerned about being one of those people who quits poker, then starts playing it again, then quits again, then goes back again, and so on ad aeternitas. If this is a recognized phenomenon then maybe people can help me figure out whether I'm an example of it or not.
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      Hello,belayd!

In the last post you made it quite clear that you and poker are done.It sounded like a fatality,"NO MORE!",that kind of fatality.

Now you are back!We are glad to have you back regardless,as you are (and everyone else is) a valued member of the community.

But the way you put the problem in context should give you something to reflect about.You said it yourself,no one here did,that you may be one of those yo-yo guys,that go back and forth about poker.

And if you feel like that,well...you probably are.

No one here can help you make a decision,because whatever we will say,YOU seal it.I suggest reading the psychology articles again,and again,and again,ad aeternitas :)
      (especially those that discuss your problem,i.e. bad beats=>downsings=>bad mood).They have a comforting effect in my opinion and are a real eye-opener.

YOU need to find the drive needed to become a winning player and get a hold of your emotions.

Hope that helped!