Need suggestion...how to play 88-JJ ???

• patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      Hello PokerStrategiest,
      This is really confuse me.

I'm playing NL2 Short Handed at Ipoker. My winrate is 14 big blind/100 and I win at all positions except at the blinds (winrate -6 bb/100. Quite good, I think).
      I'm quite satisfied with my playing so far. I won all kind of hands also: big pair, small pair, sc, offsuit conector, two gapper, etc.... except middle pair (88-JJ).

I find out that my winrate with 88-JJ is -58 b/100 !! This is terribly bad. I think from now on, I will treat these hands as small pair (i.e. set mining) until I know how to play it correctly. Of course this is not the best way. So If you know any strategy material at this sucject, please let me know.
  • 3 replies
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      What's the sample size? Unless you've played a serious number of hands this could easily just be variance.

Try posting some hands where you've played these hands and lost - for example, how do you play it when an overcard hits, on a low board, on a connected board, etc.

Playing TT and JJ like a small pp is definitely not going to be optimal.
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Every hand you play should be tailored depending on your opposition. Preflop im probably correct in saying you should normally raise those in any position, assuming no raise before you. A raise before you can normally be treated differently, for example someone who steals blinds light raising when your in SB/BB would normally constitute a 3bet, but when an absolute rock who hasnt played a hand in the last 50 raises before you, you would be wiser to treat them as a small pocket pair (ie: call20 and if you hit your set, try to take his stack, otherwise fold). It really just depends on who your facing and getting decent reads on your opponent.

Just my 2 cents.
    • sapheal
      sapheal
      Global
      patszerdonk,

Firstly, you need a big sample size (at least 20k hands) to talk about such things as positional winrate (even 20k is too low, though).

TT and JJ are already big pairs and shouldn't be played only for set mining purposes.

Secondly, I'm recommending You our article about 'playing TT and JJ'. As far I remember its from Gold status, so not much playing and you gain access to it ;-)

Good luck!

Cheers,
      Michal