Strategy for total donks?

• john111x
      john111x
      Basic
      Hey there,

I was wondering if anyone could give a strategy or link to a strategy explaining how to play against completely awful players in a live tournament? I play a home game regularly with a low buy-in and against players who are simply terrible by regular poker standards.

For example they have no knowledge of how position works at all, they bet according to hand strength and OOP with mediocre hands. Because almost every hand goes to showdown, there are very very very few hands played per hour which makes tight play very frustrating; this leads me to often only have played 2 hands in an entire match if I am blinded out. They can also bluff randomly with no thought and so aren't particularly passive.

Has anyone got a good strategy against this type of match or offer good advice? At the moment I am the biggest winner but not by much and I feel like I should be crushing it even more.

Cheers

(Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I couldn't really find a good place to ask it so I thought the beginner's questions would be quite safe)
  • 5 replies
    • Pascal
      Pascal
      Bronze
      Hi John,

tight is right is a good approach
      try to avoid fancy bluffs as they won't work if your opponent doesn't understand them

in addition you can try to get into many limped pots when you got position and hands that can flop great (flush, straight, set) as it is often hard for bad players to get away from a toppair like hand

Cheers,

Pascal
    • vivek200311
      vivek200311
      Bronze
      play just a little looser and call with medicore hands, try to play as many family pot as possible and when you hit monster board with your speculative hand (like set or straight) make them all pay without driving them out of pot. Don't raise if you know they will fold to your raise (which they will start doing when you will be a huge winner in the game :D ) , just let them do the betting.

Don't be too hung up on starting hand, try to play many small pots.

and most important : have patience

You are just describing my first poker game. :D
    • iRozi54
      iRozi54
      Bronze
      lol this sounds like my "poker" with friends...there is half of them that know the game, and the other half thinks that any two cards are playable preflop...wich leads to one good+4bad players min in every pot. but i still have fun, cuz i dont take it serious and they are my friends, and we play NL20 cash or $10 SNG with a rebuy.

postflop is hard to play when there are 4+ players in the hand every time and you know they play almost any 2 cards.
      so you have to be tight, play big draws and maid hands, and fold marginal hands.
      dont get into 3-4beting preflop unless you have monster, and in that case make big raises, cuz you dont want another player to call. and dont show the cards...try to win without showdown as often as posible, so they dont know your plays.

i'm still struggeling with beating those games cuz you dont play many hands, so you have to have some luck too and catch good cards...good luck.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Widen your value range and decrease or preferably delete your bluffing range. For example in future if the board was K2894 and your normal value range would be KJ+, now you can make it A8+.
    • Ojibway420
      Ojibway420
      Basic
      it's been months......month after month week after week, day after day, tournament after tournament......calling dumb ass morons who all-in every hand, and losing to the asswipes consistently to miracle 3, 2, 1, outs.....Seriously, I've given up on Pokerstars, Full Tilt, Absolute, UB, and now ready to say fuck it to Partypoker.....it's the same fucking thing day in day out, BS beat after BS beat.....my only damn conclusion is that these shufflers/sites are rigged......I just don't understand how I'm consistently busting out with the best hand in all cases I'm in the lower chip stack (can't build chip stack, if you wonder why I'm low stacked and it doesn't matter if I manage to have more the my starting stack) in the hand, and as I've stated it's miracle BS 3,2, and 1 outers, regardless of how strong my hand is and becomes after flop, turn......it's to the point that the stronger my hand is the bigger the miracle suck out becomes.......I would attach some of the more ridiculous miracles but do not how to compress the screen shots to 20MG's.......I'm serious when I say I'm like losing 97% with the best hand, how is that fu-cking possible.......I'm always shaking my head and left wondering how long this BS unlucky streak will continue, I fully appreciate and understand that the best hand never always wins, but it never consistenly loses like they have been for me.....I also under the best hand wins in the long run, but not online, it's simply fucking amazing how bad the beats are when you have the best hand when your the low stack and all-in........