Transition from 9 man to 18 man

• chrupens
      chrupens
      Bronze
      Due to todays disaster with FTP I am forced to move to stars. I have smaller BR so I thought I might try 18 man turbo sng. I am a winning player at 6$sng and planning to play 18 man for 3,5$. What adjustments should I make in these games? I think the risk aversion befor the final table is quite low so I basicly play the same as 7-9 handed in STT. On the final table as we get near the bubble the risk aversion also apear to be a bit lower, so I can call a bit wider and push a little tigher, or are my assesments wrong? I loved ICM explorer, can I use it in 18 man? Any tips are highly appriciated. :)
  • 3 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      The registered version of my program ICM Explorer handles other prize structures including the 40-30-20-10 structure found in 18-player SNGs.

It is correct that your risk aversion is low before the final table, so accumulate chips then. You don't need much of an edge to risk busting out.

You should tend to be more risk-averse in a 40-30-20-10 structure than in a 50-30-20 structure with the same number of players left until you get into the money. For example, to call a 10 bb small blind push with equal stacks, you need 62.37% equity on the bubble of an 18-player SNG. For comparison, you need 55.9% 5-handed in a 50-30-20 SNG, or 60.9% on the bubble of a 50-30-20 SNG.
    • chrupens
      chrupens
      Bronze
      Hm..common sense tells me that getting ITM in 18 man is not as important as 9 man, so I can call wider on the bubble. On the other hand I think I should be more risk averse ITM in 18 than in STT. Will try to calculate myself.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Your intuition might be off. Another way to look at it is that in the 50-30-20 structure, 40% of the prize pool has not been awarded yet when you get down to 3 players. In the 40-30-20-10 structure, 10% is taken off of first place and awarded to 4th, so when you get down to 3 players, only 30% of the prize pool is left. While it is true that only 40% of the prize money is awarded on the bubble of an 18-player tournament, the ICM says you should be more risk-averse when so much of the prize pool is awarded for getting into the top 4 or top 3.

The Nash calculator agrees with ICM Explorer.

4 equal 10 bb stacks, bubble of STT
      5 equal 10 bb stacks, bubble of 18-player SNG

Note the calling ranges for the big blind after the SB makes an ATC push. In the STT bubble, the BB calls with 12.5%. In the 18-player bubble the BB calls with 9.8%, folding A7s, A8s, A9o, KTs, and KQo, hands which were calls on the STT bubble.