This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] 0.05/0.1 big loss analysis

• rudders93
      rudders93
      Bronze
      Hi,

I was looking for an analysis of my big losing hands. Despite apparently playing optimally (atleast according to the Pokertablerankings grader) I'm nevertheless down, mostly because of these suck outs. I was looking for some advice about what I did wrong, or whether this is just the natural variance of poker:

The MP2 was a very aggressive player who I noticed would actively push just about anything that was mid/top pair and above. Had VPP of ~50!

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $9.62
      CO:
      $10.00
      BU:
      $11.00
      SB:
      $2.60
      BB (Hero):
      $9.85
      MP1:
      $4.00
      MP2:
      $9.69

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2, 2.
      MP1 calls $0.10, MP2 raises to $0.20, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.10, MP1 calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.65) 2, 9, T (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.62, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $1.24, Hero raises to $3.00, MP2 raises to $4.76, Hero calls $1.76.

Turn: ($10.17) 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 raises to $4.73, Hero calls $4.73.

River: ($19.63) 7 (2 players)

Final Pot: $19.63.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, twos(2 2).
      MP2 shows a straight, jack high(T J).

MP2 wins with a straight, jack high(T J).

Was looking at it with the Equilab, after the flop I had a ~90% probability of winning, dunno if that factors into your advice ;)

Thanks!
  • 3 replies
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      Don't look at individual outcomes,you had that guy crushed,keep it up and you will be fine.
      You should have raised more on the turn and push all-in against another raise.
    • Adapter1337
      Adapter1337
      Bronze
      Hello!
      Fistly, don't look the grader of pokertablerating, I can say that this is a total nonsense, it calculates your average of something etc. not your game style, by this don't definitely build up your game, I haven't watched my game analyse from there, but at the moment I did this because of your post, they rank my game there:

NL25FR
      PRE-FLOP TIGHTNESS: You are 9% tighter than optimal. Good Work! A - Im 16/14 and i think overall they have right, but they dont count, i play 24tables and im sure, for this its absolutley optimal for best $/h
      PRE-FLOP AGGRESSION You are 8% more aggressive than optimal. Good Work! A - I'm quite passive in preflop, 3b should defiintely be bigger and so on.
      FLOP AGGRESSIONYou are 20% more aggressive than optimal. Be somewhat less aggressive. C+ - I'm sure that my flop agression is excactly just like it has to be, for sure I can't be more passive there.
      TURN AGGRESSIONYou are 4% more aggressive than optimal. Good Work! A+ - I agree
      RIVER AGGRESSIONYou are 12% more aggressive than optimal. Be a little less aggressive. B+ - absolutely wrong, I'm very passive in river again since I play in 24 tables, surely the most optimal should be more agressive than I am.
      SHOWDOWN FREQUENCYYou showdown 22% less often than optimal. See more showdowns. C+ - I agree.

What I want to say, is this, that according to this you can't build up your game, for example, I have found a very good and useful style for myself, which I think is the most optimal (especially for masstabling) to make the maximum $/h, if I would change my game according to their recommendations, I would mess up my game plan totally - snd this style would be wrong. I think they take some average statistics of winning players and build up this way "an optimal game"

Now to the hand:
      Preflop: call is surely the best thing here to be done, there is no other chance
      Flop: DON'T SLOWPLAY, for sure raise him to all in, he has already shown a great agression, he doesn't fold here anymore, we have nuts, we wat to get the stack in here, this is a VERY drawheavy board, and there are very very many turn cards which we don't like
      Turn: As played, call

Generally: NL10 is not a place where to slowplay and make some tricky game, just play for value.
    • rudders93
      rudders93
      Bronze
      Ah i see. Ok, I won't slow play anything else then at these low stakes! Thanks!!