How we make money in PLO?

• Dziurgis
      Dziurgis
      Bronze
      I am showing all the hand because I think I played it fine.

The reason why I am posting it is that after looking at percentages at every street I started to wounder how to make a villain to do a mistake.

It looks like a villain does not make a big mistake by playing like that - he actually has odds to call.

Boss $30.00 Pot Limit Omaha Hi - 5 players

Hero (BTN): $44.96
      SB: $72.70 - VPIP: 75, PFR: 15, 3B: 7, AF: 2.8, Hands: 75
      BB: $32.30 - VPIP: 71, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 1.2, Hands: 28
      UTG: $14.55 - VPIP: 95, PFR: 55, 3B: 0, AF: 1.1, Hands: 65
      CO: $27.70 - VPIP: 42, PFR: 11, 3B: 0, AF: 3.3, Hands: 55

Pre Flop: ($0.45) Hero is BTN with 6 :heart: A :spade: 7 :heart: A :diamond:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $1.05, SB calls $0.90, BB calls $0.75

Flop: ($3.15) K :diamond: 4 :heart: 6 :diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $3.15, SB folds, BB calls $3.15

he needs 33% equity to call and he has 40%.

Turn: ($9.45) 9 :spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $7.08, BB calls $7.08

he needs 30% and he has 33%. even if I pot here he can profitably call.
      I hate to pot here because if I get raised it sucks.

River: ($23.61) T :diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Final Pot: $23.61
      BB shows 8 :club: T :club: 2 :diamond: Q :diamond:
      BB wins $22.46
      (Rake: $1.15)

So it looks like it is often not possible in PLO to bet enough to charge draws.
      So how we make money in PLO?

Do we win most money if villain actually folds his equity share? What could explain why line bet/fold bet/fold can be most profitable in this situation.

p.s. I do not have too much experience in PLO so let me know if I am wayyyy off here.
  • 6 replies
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well your hand is pretty crappy and its genereally hard to make money in PLO from 1 pair hands since your equity is never that good. Like in this spot where he only has Q high he still has 40% on the flop, if he has a pair with it your way behind. You would be making money in this spot if you would have him dominated with AAxx with diamonds since then he has 10% on the turn for his gutter. So your making money when you have his draws dominated.

You also make money by bluffing that river since you do have Ad blocker he might make an incorrect fold. There is a lot of spots in PLO where you get potted into on the turn with lets say a wrap giving you around 33% equity so you can't fold, but don't have enough to shove it in so you pretty much have to call. So if you make about a breakeven call on the turn then you have to get paid off on the river to make money. And since fishes pay you off on the river with a set when you hit your strait you make a ton of money off them in a spot where you fold your set when their draw comes in.
    • Dziurgis
      Dziurgis
      Bronze
      Thank you for a great post, MatejM47.

Do you think the bet/fold, bet/fold line is good in this spot with a hand like this?

If he folds his around 30% equity on the turn sometime, it is a great result for us as well.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well considering his wide range preflop and how light his calling 2 streets in this hand i think your ahead of his range on the turn. The fact that this guy will never bluffraise you on the turn also helps. So betting is the right play since your getting the money in ahead which is making you money.

But if you do and the :diamond: hits the river i think you just have to turn your hand into a bluff since you don't really beat anything but Kx that doesn't have 2 pair and he does fold 2 pairs and maybe a strait but i dont really expect this guy to ever fold a flush here. The problem is his range is so wide that his calling 46xx KTxx K9xx, 578x and other crappy hands that has you beat and he pretty much has to fold now.

The only problem with this type of fish is that he might somehow river 2 pair with his T4xx and call you down for whatever reason fish do that which is going to put you on tilt for the rest of the session :) Personally i just try to show down a weak 1 pair hands if i can since he won't be bluffing rivers that often so if the river goes c/c you probably have the best hand and you can comfortably fold if he donks out into you.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      You can't calculate that flop like you did. He has 40% chance of hitting on turn AND river. So if you would be all in and he needed 30% to call, he should. Now he will hit something on turn only about 20% of time. So he needs pot odds (and possible implied odds) for that.
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      As kyyberi said, his call on the turn made his flop call incorrect.

His call on the flop was only correct if the turn was going to be checked 100% of the time.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Ribbo
      His call on the flop was only correct if the turn was going to be checked 100% of the time.
      OR he hits the flush and can get 2/3 pots of value for it.