SNG Final 2.

• Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      So fairly new to the game of poker, always liked the idea of playing poker for reads and social side of things, and oversly the money.

I come from a blackjack side, after winning a vast amount of money on blackjack i got bored of the quick win/lose game, and decided to try my hand at poker.
      Since then i havnt gone back, although this was only a few months ago. I tend to be thinking about poker 20hours of the day, about my hands etc.

But the question is.. I recently played a SNG $6buyin.. and I placed 2nd for a $12 win..

I was on $4000 and he had $8000.. I then got a 3pair on the flop and played it slow to eventually go all in.. to double up.
      The only problem was I somehow still lost the tournoment, all he was doing was folding until he had a decent hand.. And after 20minutes of him constantly folding, and when he bets.. Folding if i had no hand. I simple went all in when i had a medicore hand.. Which resulted in me losing and only placing 2nd.

How do you play against people like this with last two, when theyre obviously only going to play there strong hands, Is it merely just luck? or do you push them of for every blind and try to get it slowly? With the hope they will just fold?

Thanks.
  • 8 replies
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Hi Spungeh,

First I would like to welcome you on the forums since I see this is your first post :) .

So the first thing to know about SNGs is that they are high variance, which mean that if you didn't play many tournaments like 500 or more it's hard to know where you are standing.

Here you can read more about variance :

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/glossary/Variance/

About your specific SNG, in the HUs situation there's many way to abuse your opponent. Usually in Heads-up the blinds are big enough so that you can abuse a player that is too tight and procceed to push all-in preflop pretty much every hand, this is called the push or fold strategy. Remember Headsup also has a lot of variance if your opponents gets lucky there's not much you can do.

Anyways first I would suggest you read the articles they will help you a lot to improve you SNG game :

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/

Good luck with the learning

Take care

Simon
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      Thanks. I've been getting allot more success now. I find if the blinds are big enough I can use the fold or shove stat. Earlier.

I had around 5SNGS tonight and came 2nd in 2 3rd in 1 and 4th in the others. Which isn't great and still losing money. But I have got out of situations in which a week ago wouldn't of came top 5.

I was 4/4 with 6000 less chips and managed to come back to stack leader. But still can not get that first place finish. It's like I'm stupidly unlucky with heads up.

Ive read articles that I can. And nothing really pointing to heads up on SNGs and was thinking it's mainly luck of the draw? As blinds are so big if I was to fold more than 3times in a row due to him raising I am going to lose. But now I seem to lose when I go all in. I'm guessing this is where the luck part of poker comes into play?

Thanks for information so far.
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Hey Spungeh,

To be honest, from experience, I have played over 5k SNGs in my life and the heads up part is a lot of moves depending on your opponents. Adjusting is the key here, if the opponents pushes too wide you call wider and if the opponent min raise all the time you start to 3 bet shove (Going all in pre flop). If he's too tight you can shove pre a lot of cards specially if the blinds are big....It's really situation dependant.

One thing you have to remember (and that goes from pretty much any phase of the SNG) it's better to push wide than call wide.

Once you reach silver, you will be able to read the SNG article about the "SAGE" (Sit And Go Endgame System ) system...which gives you some hints about how to play HUs.

Also as I mentionned before and as you are saying, luck is a huge factor Hu since you are shoving pretty wide with like 3 BB (big blinds) you can expect him to call with a big range and you can often be flipping a coin or be in a 60/4o situation...then it will all comes to math.

Do you play turbo or normal SNG?
      Turbos headsup play is usually mostly push or fold but in normal you have more space to really play poker with your opponent.

Anyways ; I am not a coach here so you don't have to take what I am saying as 100% truth but I am trying to give you some advice as a fellow SNG player :)

Also, you might want to check the SNG strategy part of the forum and ask your question there; coaches answer the threads often.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1428

Take care

Simon
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      awesome advice simon :f_love: you rock!
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      The advice Is very welcome.
      I think most games are turbo just because there easier to get.

I'll try what you are saying and put my results in here. Wish me luck for some first place finishes.
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      awesome advice simon :f_love: you rock!
      ty wendy :s_love: :s_love: :s_love:

and gl Spungeh :)
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      Ok, So just played 2 SNGs $1 buy in.. So i could test new strats...

I came 3rd, and 1st.. :) Finally got my first win.. I ended up going all in with A10 and ended up hitting a full house on the flop.. For 1st place finish.

For 3rd place finish, I only had 5-10BBs left, and went from $1k to $6k in only 3hands.. Which saved me big time so i could place into the money.

Thanks for the advice.. Now got to test it some more.. Learnt allot from just those 2 games.
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Originally posted by Spungeh
      How do you play against people like this with last two, when theyre obviously only going to play there strong hands, Is it merely just luck? or do you push them of for every blind and try to get it slowly? With the hope they will just fold?

Thanks.
      When villain is tight it might be better to use minraise (raise to 2*big blind). When I played 5$/10$ games it was not that rare to see extremely tight players who won't adjust to any2 raise. So when we had like 12+bb stacks I might have started to minraise almost any hand. It obviously open yourself to be exploited by loose resteals, but versus players who won't adjust and only calls to play hit or fold postflop this strategy is very effective. But when versus nitty villain you should give respect when they do make some moves. So it might be best to fold relatively strong hands when villain is raising as it's more profitable to open loose and steal his blinds.

With 10bb or less you should usually shove. Still minraising might be good with hands you want action as villains in micro games usually don't think about opponent actions.