DrFunk poker career

• DrFunk
      DrFunk
      Bronze
      Hi!

Just starting out with some very low BI Sng's. I already have played some SSS NL, but i suck at cash games. I lost some bankroll, then decided to try my luck at Sng's.
      I currently play at Titan Poker, 50c+10c. Why so low? Just to get the feeling for it. I will move up to 1$ as soon as I play 150-200 sng's with good ROI.

Currently i'm running pretty good, with total ROI of 22% over 58 games. I know, this is a very small sample, but it's a good start.

Will update at 100 Sng's.
  • 141 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi DrFunk!

Nice progress. Keep us up-to-date!

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Silver
      Hi DrFunk,

nice start you've made so far, keep playing like that and I'm sure you will get a lot higher then the $1 buy-in's as well ;)

Good luck!
    • DrFunk
      DrFunk
      Bronze
      OMG, i'm running awful. Bad beat after bad beat after bad beat. All the coinflips are going in the wrong way, river cards are just awful. I had a couple of 4. and 5. place finishes, so i'm screwing that ROI once again. I'm so pissed off!

Either i'm running very good, or very bad (tilting). I have no break-even sessions.

X(
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Silver
      Hi DrFunk,

Just take a break and reread the articles, watch some videos and post some hands so you keep improving your game. That way you'll be able to increase your ROI again ;)

Good luck!
    • DrFunk
      DrFunk
      Bronze
      Update :

ROI for 79 sngs is 20,2%, just for February is 33%. Am I ready to tackle the 1$ sngs? :)
    • mishh06
      mishh06
      Bronze
      I think you are definitely ready to tackle the $1 sit n go's. I would say that the difference between the skill level of the 50c players and the $1 players is none, and i'm sure you will dominate that limit very quickly!
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Silver
      Hi DrFunk,

If you have the bankroll for 1$ SnG's (=50$) you're defenitely ready to move up.
      But keep aware of good bankrollmanagement and move down if things don't work out. But I'm quiet sure you will do well at the 1$ buy-ins

Good luck!
    • DrFunk
      DrFunk
      Bronze
      I'm really split between sngs and cash tables. Right now i'm playing some NL5, and doing pretty good. Remember, i stopped playing it because i sucked at it (maybe i was just running bad) so i switched to sng's.

Will see what will playing at NL5 will bring. :)
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Silver
      Hi DrFunk,

Good luck with the cashgames as well then. Just read the pokerstrategy-articles and you will be winner at NL5 as well.

Good luck!
    • DrFunk
      DrFunk
      Bronze
      I have stopped playing sng's for a while and went back to cash games (NL5). I was successful, made some money, then i went back to sng's. And now i'm losing all sngs at 1$, have lost all the profit in one day.

I just cant believe it. Two months playing poker and together i have earned 1 lousy euro (which i am going to lose in the next sng). All the time i am going up and down a little, making no money. I never had so much money as yesterday. And today, i have the same amount as i deposited.

I'm beginning to lose motivation for playing poker. It is just a waste of time because i am not earning anything, just losing my nerves.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrFunk
      I have stopped playing sng's for a while and went back to cash games (NL5). I was successful, made some money, then i went back to sng's. And now i'm losing all sngs at 1$, have lost all the profit in one day.

I just cant believe it. Two months playing poker and together i have earned 1 lousy euro (which i am going to lose in the next sng). All the time i am going up and down a little, making no money.

I'm beginning to lose motivation for playing poker. It is just a waste of time because i am not earning anything, just losing my nerves.
      Hi DrFunk,

Just read your Blog and well can only advise you that during your first 2 months of Poker - making lots of money shouldnt be your primary motivation. While you are still in the beginning steps of building a bankroll and playing Poker you should try to look past the monetary amounts you are playing for and instead concentrate on how much you have evolved as a player.

Although Im also usually a cashgame players I have had periods of time where I played many SNGs in order to practice tournament play. On some days I would bust in 9 of 10 tournaments at the bubble with Bad Beats and on other days I would get ITM in 8 out of 10 with 5 first places. My Bankroll didnt really progress upwards a lot but I gained a lot of experience and self confidence - because even in those tournaments where I busted out I would either have gotten my money in at the right time - or learned a lesson.

As time went on I became a much much better player - and well it all went from there.

So even if you've only won 1$ so far - as long as you have been posting hands in the forum - watching coachings - reading articles - and working on your game - you have gained so much more than just a dollar.

The most important thing is to try to have fun - and to keep on learning. If you're fixated on earning money - before you know how to have fun while doing it - then your setting wrong priorities :)

Good luck for your future sessions - it has to go up sooner or later

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • carusel
      carusel
      Bronze
      how do you make the graphs for sng profit ? i have pokerEV and poker grapher and i can only make graphs for cash games..
    • DrFunk
      DrFunk
      Bronze

Here is my new graph. I have been playing very little due to the fact that my computer was broken. And still is.

I made the transit to 1$ sng. And it has been awful. You can see the awful downswing.

Here are my places :

1. place : 2 times
      2. place : 3
      3. place : 2
      4. place : 8 (!!!)

It is so very frustrating. I've been playing my best, but the cards are going in the wrong direction at the bubble, i cant play ICM due to bad cards on the bubble. I hope it will turn around.

My march ROI is -11%, and my ROI at 1$ sngs is -23$.

I make the graphs myself, using MS Excel.
    • DrFunk
      DrFunk
      Bronze
      Update :

It is just going down, no matter how i play it.

Here are the placings :

I'm not going to play poker ever again. It is so sick. Last two fourth place finishes has ended with KK and QQ in my hand. And then there is straight vs. flush. I lose. It not the matter of a coinflip. I win every coinflip until the bubble, then i bust.
      4 of us still playing in a sng. I am the chip leader. I go out in 4th place.

I'm not going to play poker ever again. Too frustrating. I've lost 4$ and all of my nerves.

Bye.
    • DrFunk
      DrFunk
      Bronze
      Just kidding. :) Of course i will play. But it is frustrating.

But i wonder. I went up to 1$ sngs at around game 80 (see graph). Looks like the games are so much tougher, but i don't think there is a difference in skill level. If i suck at 1$, how will i perform at 10$, if i ever get there? :(

I have enough bankroll to play 2$ sngs(100$), but i will not move up if i dont master the 1$... I want ROI at least 10% at 1$. Right now i sit at -33%.
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Silver
      Just keep playing your A game and you will do fine in the long run, in meanwhile learn some more, read articles, watch videos and you'll do fine if you get to $10 sng's ;)
    • ArtKing
      ArtKing
      Bronze

Here are my places :

1. place : 2 times
      2. place : 3
      3. place : 2
      4. place : 8 (!!!)

2x5€ + 3x3€ + 2x2€ = 24 € winnings

playing 15 1,20€ sngs -> 18 € spent

so i guess you finished off at worse places than 4th, too?

EDIT: I see its in the second graph !!! Never Mind.
      P.S. Watch horror or morgoth sng videos as soon as you get silver.
    • DrFunk
      DrFunk
      Bronze
      The bad thing is that i play at Titan, while my PokerStrategy account is on Mansion, so dont think i will make it to silver anytime soon, unless i go broke at Titan (hope not with 100BI :) ).
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      The bad thing is that i play at Titan, while my PokerStrategy account is on Mansion, so dont think i will make it to silver anytime soon, unless i go broke at Titan (hope not with 100BI :) ).
      Your Titan account does not meet the Re-tracking guidelines?

If you are an existing Titan Player,
      and wish to participate in the PokerStrategy promotions, you may be eligible.
      The first requirement is that your Titan account is more than 30 days old. If this is the case then your participation will be decided on a case by case basis. (If it doesn't work, your account normally has been created with a different bonus code from another Revenue Share Affiliate)

Otherwise you might be able to also collect points there ;)

Best regards,
      SoyCD