CO raises to $0.40, Hero calls $0.40, fold, fold

FLOP ($0.95) 7:club: 8:diamond: T:club:

CO bets $0.40, Hero raises to $1.50, CO calls $1.10

TURN ($3.95) 7:club: 8:diamond: T:club: J:heart:

CO checks, Hero bets $1.90, CO calls $1.90

RIVER ($7.75) 7:club: 8:diamond: T:club: J:heart: 4:heart:

CO checks, Hero checks

17/15/3 49 hands

I call preflop because his range should be wide and he will fold a lot of hands to a raise, will go allin only with AK, QQ+

On flop I have to raise, because I have to protect my hand.

On the turn I think this had to be a check, because worse hands will not call there.

If I would have checked the turn I think I would have to fold on a river if he would bet.
  • 3 replies
    • Adapter1337
      Preflop: This is a SH, my strategy generally in shorthanded games against co is to 3bet with QQ and go All-In, because I want to keep my 3bet/get it in range enough wide, to get value for AA/KK ,then I'll surely play QQ as nuts (to be honest, then I 3bet even JJ and go All-In, but this may already be too thin, depending on your overall strategy; if you're agressive, then JJ is totally ok to go All-In cu vs btn/sb/bb).
      Flop: As played, now here it depends very much of your game style, if you're an agressive player and the opponent is also agressive, then your chosen line is very ok. But myself I like to play flops a bit more passive, to force the opponents play aslo Rivers and Turns, since these are the spots where the generally make bigger mistakes.
      He called your raise, what his range mostly is here? 99/JJ/QQ/KK/AA , I presume that on this board with QQ+ they generally go All-In (unless the opponent is very weak passive) ,so from the pairs 99/JJ, and also many different draws ( for example 89/9T/TJ etc.). I believe that his range here is very wide ( but with a quite strong equity).
      Turn: J finishes lots of draws, but yet in range he has may weaker hands. Checking here I don't like at all, so we bet here for value/free showdown, that we could check in River, But I'd like to bet bigger, I think 2.7$, otherwise your hands seems too weak and he may bluff you down with some good equity hand.
    • veriz
      Hello SPeedFANat1c,

I do like your play actually. I don't mind at all just calling preflop while even having position. It's not a must to 3bet there. Most likely he is even folding to most of the 3bets and continues only with strong hands. And at the best we get a flip.

But of course shouldn't be wrong to 3bet either there while we even don't have that huge sample size on him.

And postflop I'd just add a bit more on turn ~$2,40 just not to make it look weak hand but would definitely bet it as well maybe even for protection and of course free showdown.

Best regards.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      I could have missed easily comment by veriz, because Adapter1337 marked as evaluated, so I often don't go to forums if I know all my posted hands are evaluated. But saw it accidentaly because the forum was opoened in browser and page reloaded.

Its interesting of course to read another comment by another judge, but I think there should be some function which alerts that I have not read more messages by other judge on evaluated hand.

So thats my idea how to improve the forums :)