question re: moving down limits

• thepowerplay
      thepowerplay
      Bronze
      Regarding the guidelines for moving down limits, the beginners section recommends moving down when you have 300 big bets of the previous limit.

I currently play .25/.50 fixed limit on Cake. According to the strategy, I would drop down to the next level (.10/.20) at the very latest when I hit $60 in my roll. However, I would have typically dropped when my 300 BB threshold didn't meet the .25/.50 game... which would have anything under $150.

Am I being unnecessarily tight by deciding to move down so quick? Should I be allowing myself to get closer to the $60 mark?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! :)
  • 5 replies
    • kennyxx
      kennyxx
      Bronze
      there is nothing wrong with "safer" BRM than suggested.

But every limit might be little bit different and one have to get used to. From my experience, I allmost allways lost couple of BBs till I adjusted my game accordingly.
      So You can try adjust BRM to make it more comfortable. Just make sure You are not scared to play because of money on the table. If so just stay on lower limit bit longer (till ~200$).
    • thepowerplay
      thepowerplay
      Bronze
      Thanks for the response... I think I'll still play cautious for the time being. Better safe than sorry... :spade:
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Yeah the whole 300BB thing can be a bit confusing moving up

As what happen when you et 300BB then lose 1BB, you suddenly have to move down now?

I think the "Move down at 300BB for lower limit" is a decent idea.

In your case I feel $150 to play 0.1/0.2 is too big of a roll, you're paying absurd rake at those levels. Yes you're still learning while playing there but it's hardly the shorthanded games you'll have to get used to as you move up and it could be potnetially damaging long term.

I'd say moving down at 500BB for lower limit while playing micros/small stakes should be your top level BR management (which yould see you move down if your BR got below $100 which is still a little risk averse but 750BB BR management that low is passing up value)
    • thepowerplay
      thepowerplay
      Bronze
      Thanks for that...

One of the problems I'm having on Cake is finding a game at the stakes I want to play. If there is a .25/.50 game, then that's what I play. Often, there are only games at lower stakes, so I often end up playing .05/.10 or even .02/.04

I know a game usually opens up at the stakes I like if someone just sits down at the table. Others will join in, but the game is usually short handed. I'm playing the Fixed Limit strategy like a bot, and so far it seems to be working out fine. I'm afraid if I sit in at .25/.50 and play shorthanded I'm going to start losing. Does the Fixed Limit strategy hold up shorthanded, or do I for sure need to make adjustments? Even worse if I'm sitting heads up or 3-handed with a couple of players, I'm really worried I'm just going to be handing my blinds over to them and bleed a slow death.

I'm just not too sure how to play a solid game short handed or heads up with fixed limit. I know the Silver level has some articles on this, but I have to rebuild my strategy points to get there first!

:f_cry:

I just have to be patient... but I do wish the fixed limit traffic on Cake was a little more robust.
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      If you're new to SH play the limit lower than you play full ring (FR), in your case that would be .5/.10, and don't multi-table to begin with. SH is must faster than FR, and you need to become acclimatised to playing so many hands in a short period of time. (Download the silver ORC chart too if you can, it's for SH play.)

I switched about a month ago, and I'm really enjoying SH; you play more hands so it's quite easy to pop off 10BB without noticing, but if you get the right table, you can clean up quite easily playing standard "ABC" poker.