Discounted outs

• roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Hello everyone
      i'm really still struggling with the concept of discounted outs, I just dont get it! have watched the video quite a few times and have read the article several times, could someone please help me with this. I understand pot odds fine but just cant seem to comprehend when to discount cards!! How do I know when to and how many cards to discount!!
      The part I dont understand is how would I know what my opponent is holding so I can discount these cards, does this only apply if im playing against more that one player on the flop?

Roo
  • 3 replies
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      It's simple.I'll use the example in the article.

You have 3 :club: 2 :diamond:
      The flop is 4 :spade: 5 :spade: K :heart:

You have a total of 8 outs,which give you a straight:4 aces and 4 sixes.

But with the flushdraw on the board you cannot be sure that you are drawing to the best hand.For example if the 6 :spade: will come on the turn,it will give you a striaght,but an opponent could have you beat if he is holding X :spade: X :spade:

Especially at micros,opponents have a tendency of playing any two suited cards,so it is likely that he is on a flushdraw,thus giving you only 6 true outs:
      6 :heart: 6 :diamond: 6 :club: and A :heart: A :diamond: A :club: since the 6s :spade: and A :spade: ,like i said,will probably complete an opponents flushdraw.

Discounted outs will assure you that you are drawing to the nuts and also give a conservative pot odds calculation.

If you are still unclear about it or something in my explanation,please ask.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Thanks!!
      So are you saying that if there is a chance of villian drawing to a better hand I should discount the hands that would help him/her?

mmm I believe this concept is starting to dawn on me doh!! :P

Really big thanks for your reply, I think i have a habit of over complicating things! This has been bugging me for ages but I chose to ignore it and hoped the answer would come to me, have been taking my game back to basics over the last few weeks and its things like this that I need to get right in my small brain!!! thanks!!

Roo

:P
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      Sure thing.

Discounted outs have a lot to do with reverse implied odds.If you want to learn more about this you can google it and a definition will surely pop up.

Reverse implied odds are the opposite of implied odds.Implied odds show you how much more you can win from your opponent if you make your draw,but reverse implied odds show you how much you can LOSE if you make your draw.

Discounting outs helps prevent these losses.