How to play against old, bad people in a live SnG

• BrinkyBill
      BrinkyBill
      Bronze
      Hello,

I am an online player and mainly play cash games. But recently I started to play at my local pub in a SnG without 2 or 3 tables of 7 or 8. The players are loose passive mainly and really bad. At least from the standards I am used to from playing online. Probably worst than NL2. But for some reason I can't seem to beat these games. I've tried playing tight, since they are calling stations, but then I didn't get the cards and basically blinded out. Or playing loose aggressive, like I would online, where I got called by ridiculous hands preflop. Which meant I really couldn't define their ranges properly.

So my question is: How the hell to you play in these games? Because even though I think they wouldn't stand a chance online against me, I seem unable to beat them live.

BrinkyBill
  • 2 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      You don't say the prize structure, but that probably only matters a lot at the final table. Before the final table accumulating chips is much more important than survival.

When you are playing calling stations, bluff and semibluff less, and value bet more. You value bet with hands that would be incorrect value bets against more selective opponents, since you will get called by more bluff-catchers. The common idea that you should tighten up against loose players is wrong in cash games and in the early phases of tournaments.

In live games, you can often play tricks with the bet sizing. Many players do not pay attention to the relation between the size of your bet and the pot. This means you may be able to get away with betting larger when you want value and betting smaller as a bluff of blocking bet. You might be able to steal the blinds with little more than a minimum raise even when there are antes. This means you also do not need to play push/fold when you have just under 10 bb.
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      If there is not much raising preflop, you should also limp fairly wide. Since bad players will often pay you off with awful hands when you hit you do have great implied odds. Of course still raise the good hands, but consider limping hands like all broadways, suited connectors, obvious pockets, Ax suited... from mid/late position after 1 or more limps. Of course only during the early levels. Identify the "good" players who you can 3bet and c-bet small and lightly.