Kruppe and Daphunk. Grinding NLHE many steaks! Pursuade Kruppe to post NL400+ HHs!

• DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      A new Beginning

Hi guys, I've been gone for a while but I'm back. Welcome to my new blog. Kruppe, also known as Keruli will be joining me when he has put some money on a new site.

The premise; FTP has gone down, which is where we both had our bankrolls, so we are both going to be bankroll building on new sites.

I am starting by depositing £50 on Partypoker. Luckily partypoker had a couple of non-deposit bonuses waiting for me :)

I shall be starting at NL4 and working my way up. Screenshot of my new deposit;

I think I'll try some 9-tabling and then some 12 tabling and see how it goes :)
  • 156 replies
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      Known as 'Keruli' no more, I fear. My time as a low-stakes professional at fulltilt is over for now. here's a link to my previous blog, where I updated my
      progress playing rush poker, along with a graph for my current database of hands, which is march through june:

Oh S%!t, It's Keruli!?! - tilt, busto, moving on to a new challenge

Now I'm left with barely enough money in the bank for 2 months or so, and only a couple of hundred dollars here and there online that I'm going to try to grind up into a
      sufficient bankroll. I was planning on flying to Sweden this month, but now i'm going to have to improve my finances before i can do that :(

Anyway, I deposited €200 on party today and started grinding NL10. I need to get 1000 party points in the next 15 days to get fast-tracked Palladium status, which
      may require a ton of volume. Screenshot of partypoker and my HEM session stats:

I'm considering adding some other stuff to this blog besides poker content, we'll see...
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Good luck guys, Im sure youre disciplined enough to actually do this and get back to decent stakes in not-so-long =) and maybe we'll all get a present at some point and get our ftp cash back :P
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      good luck :f_thumbsup:
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      thanks, ladies!

yeah, would be nice to get ftp cash back, but this time i'm definately not counting on it
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kruppe
      thanks, ladies!

fu :P

have you considered trying to get staked? I'm too poor to make you an offer :P but it shouldnt be that hard for you
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      I have, but I'm not actually sure that it would be the best choice. There's the logistics involved(how to get money onto a site for me to play with, how to
      arrange the parameters in a way that lets me cash out at the required times), and then the fact that even with a really good staking deal I probably wouldn't have a
      good bankroll very soon anyway. Plus the challenge of building up a new bankroll seems appealing to me.

That being said, I'm still not sure. Maybe some kind of deal where I get longterm stakes or staked for 100k hands or something of NL50/100 and i get to keep
      80% of the profit? Dunno, what do you think?
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      It's pretty unrealistic to get such a deal, unless you give away all rakeback or something. But you can just think like this.. if you get staked for nl100 and do 50/50, its like playing nl50 for you. That's more than NL10. :P But maybe it's more profitable in the long run for you to grind up a nl50 roll of your own, I'm not sure.. you might be right =)
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      yeah, that's more or less correct, but 50/50 would actually be an insanely bad deal for me. 80/20 or even 90/10 would honestly be a great investment, but i
      guess what i'm thinking of isn't just a stake for a certain limit, but instead a stake that i treat like a bankroll, using my normal BRM, in which case the probability
      of me being down after 2 months or so of serious grinding is actually close to zero, so it's pretty much a nice chunk of free money for the investor. that distinction
      is actually very important imo. I've actually staked a winning player for NL50 before who then lost 40 stacks :D wouldn't have happened if he a) used BRM
      and b) actually relied on profit from the deal to survive
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      hey dude,

I could be interested in helping you out building your roll back. Starting at NL50 could be possible.

Just a couple of questions to know roughly what we are talking about :

How many hands a month would you be playing?
      What would be your cashouts - how much/how often?
      With your volume what kind of rakeback do you expect to get?
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      Well, to get some idea of how much I play you can check my previous blog, but really it depends on necessity, so if i need to grind a certain amount I will, and
      right now I do need to, otherwise I'm not going to be able to finance various holidays/just normal life. I guess if i ran hot and quickly won $3k or something
      i might only play 40k or something in the next month, otherwise i guess
      somewhere between 50k and 100k? hard to say.

Not sure about the exact timeline for what i need to cashout, but i really need to start withdrawing in a couple of weeks time, at least a couple of hundred €,
      and i guess i need to have withdrawn several hundred euros within a month or so from now.

If i grind on party, i guess i'll be basic palladium? and i guess somewhere between 30 and 45% effective RB? would probably only be about a quarter of
      my hourly though.

anyway, what sort of deal are you thinking of offering?
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Got your skype from your old blog, will add you when I'm back home later and we can talk about it.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      :diamond: So... Been grinding some more NL10, played 5k hands now. NL10 is even fishier than I expected, it's crazy. Got over 100 party points, so 1/10 of the way to palladium.

:diamond: fun hand:
      No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

MP ($10.41)
      BB ($11.18)
      Kruppe (CO) ($17.33)
      Button ($15.22)
      UTG ($11.51)
      SB ($3.50)

Preflop: Kruppe is CO with ,
      2 folds, Kruppe bets $0.30, Button calls $0.30, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.75) , , (2 players)
      Kruppe checks, Button bets $0.54, Kruppe raises $1.40, Button calls $0.86

Turn: ($3.55) (2 players)
      Kruppe checks, Button checks

River: ($3.55) (2 players)
      Kruppe bets $0.90, Button raises $2, Kruppe raises $3.60, 1 fold

Total pot: $7.55

Results:
      Kruppe had 6, 7 (one pair, threes).
      Outcome: Kruppe won $9.68

:diamond: graph:

:diamond: I'm still thinking about getting staked, talking to some people, not sure what I'm going to do yet.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      I just played a session trying to 12 table again on Party. Played 2 and a half hours and wasn't really aware of doing too much differently, except stopping 3betting ATs A9s etc on SB.

However, I got this funny graph I wasn't expecting to see when I finished my session;

I was like "wtf @ my non-sds Lolololol (etc)"

Then I compared a Rush NL5 2 tabling session to see if the non-sd's were as non standard as I thought;

I'm sure it could just be variance, but there is a possibility that either Party or 12 Tabling are bad for my non-SD's :D
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      I found a staker! So no more grinding NL10 on party*. :) Managed to come to a very satisfactory staking arrangement to play NL100 on 888/LuckyAce.
      I started depositing yesterday, and so far I in fact love the software and am very happy with the softness of the opposition, albeit only having played NL50 yesterday.
      graph:

*was going badly. I played 12k hands or something and was running very cold.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      New update please Kruppe! :D

I was in Chile for over a month being distracted by a delightful friend of mine. I am however now back and have moved my roll from the horrible software (well, i guess it could be worse) of Partypoker and have deposited on PokerStars to do some mini-grinding whilst I study this Autumn for some exams.

Will post some graphs when I have something to report. I feel rather old now because the stars software is nice and shiny compared to how I remember it and I rather like it!
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      haven't felt like updating for ages due to DaPhunk being in Chile for a month and not playing at all,
      and his poker future being very uncertain, but here gos. goes? go's? WHTF? should be 'goes', i suppose? looks weird though.

I'm pretty much Robusto, have established myself on 888, overcoming the initial downswing, making
      about 2k in august and at about +2.5k so far this month. I'm playing NL100 FR/SH with a lot of
      confidence, often starting tables and playing HU against regs. I want to play some NL200 asap,
      but despite withdrawing loads of money, my bank account somehow manages to always hover
      around zero, so I guess I don't have enough money yet.

I got back from England yesterday, spent 11 days at Mark/DaPhunk's place, before which I
      hadn't really played any poker this month due mainly to Philosophy related stuff. While in England
      I put in a lot of hours of mainly 6-tabling on a Netbook, with good concentration,
      no tilt, and seemingly a somewhat better red-line and win-rate than when i 8-12 table.

One morning in England, Mark said he wanted to play 5k hands before we met a friend of ours
      in the evening. VVe ended up having a race to 5k hands. He played up to 24 tables of NL5
      FR on stars, and i played ~18 tables of NL20 and NL30 SH on 888. :P this turned out to be great
      fun, as I proceeded to play 29/25 WITH 16% 3BET over those 5k hands... YEAH. I won $250 or
      so, running below alev, and reached 5k when Mark was at about 4900. About half an hour from
      finishing, I believe I nearly fainted, my head sliding to the left and my sense of balance fucking up
      and going way off centre, much as happens when you're extremely drunk.

i might add some merenghis when i've sorted out my database
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      I've been struggling recently, and things came to a head yesterday. I lost a huge portion of my roll
      in two horrible sessions. I went to bed exhausted and depressed, and couldn't sleep for about two
      hours, which hasn't happened in several years. A lot of thoughts circled in my mind. For the first
      time ever I seriously thought about quitting semi-professional poker and getting a job. More strongly
      than ever before, I hated poker, hated the constant pressure and uncertainty that accompanies
      gambling for a living when one hasn't been successful enough to just forget about results
      and take life easy, sitting on a pile of cash. I hated the fact that I had won so many thousands,
      only to be left with less money than ever before and dwindling confidence. I imagined how
      marvelous it would be to have some boring day-job, a job during which I don't have to feel the
      pressure of constantly making important decisions, and after which I can play an hour or two of
      poker in the evening and NOT HAVE TO WITHDRAW the thousands of dollars I win. I could build
      a bankroll faster and with less pressure. Maybe some kind of half-time job, just enough to sustain
      my life-style.

I woke up today and felt completely different. I often do, regardless of how bad I felt the previous
      day. My usual quiet optimism was back. I felt that yesterday was a wake-up call, that I had to face the facts.
      Here are the facts: I may have run badly in my poker career thus far, and even worse in staking,
      but the real problem is that I haven't been putting in the required effort. I've been so lazy and
      inconsistent, just not putting in the hours. Since my first cash-out over two years ago with a huge
      bankroll for my stakes, there have been huge ups and downs, but I have to face the fact that
      over-all it's been a downhill slide. I've known for a long time that things could and would be
      very different if I took it more seriously and didn't just play an hour or two here and there, and
      now I've finally reached the point where taking it more seriously for a sustained period seems
      like the clear choice.

I'm going to play an average of 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, until I've played 50k hands at
      NL200, then I'll re-evaluate. I'm 90+% sure this will work and won't be very unpleasant.

In other news, I've been semi-seriously play SC2 for a few months now,(although
      I might stop in the light of my new plans) and have worked my way up from bronze to high
      platinum since last summer. I've started winning in all my match-ups, so I might move up to
      diamond soon. I don't think I'll ever be a top-level player, but I actually think I could reach
      Masters and probably Grand-Masters. We'll see.

Merenghi for my play at 888 so far:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      hear hear! good post!

Lets hear about the few days since this update. Have you been sticking to plan?
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      I've been trying quite hard, and I'm pretty happy with how things have been going. I haven't
      managed to reach the 5h/day target, but that's pretty much impossible coming from just
      1-2h/day, especially as I've been 12-tabling on not very good software. However, I have dramatically
      increased volume, and am feeling good about how this is affecting my motivation and my game.

I managed to rebuild a work-able BR starting from NL20, and I'm back at NL50 now.
      Here's a Merenghi for the re-build followed by one for the whole of october: