[NL2-NL10] nl2 fr AKo

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Hi I've just moved from MSS to BSS, finished reading all articles available to me today and i started playing this morning. This hand came up and looking back on it i am pretty sure i made a serious error in my play but i would like to make sure. i also have a couple of questions for any experienced player who is willing to help out... first thing's first:

Known players:      
      UTG1:
      $0.81
      UTG2:
      $1.63
      Hero:
      $2.28

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:heart: , K:spade:
      UTG1 calls $0.02, UTG2 raises to $0.10, Hero raises to $0.30, 7 folds, UTG2 calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.65) A:diamond: , J:diamond: , 6:heart: (2 players)
      UTG2 bets $1.33 (All-In), Hero calls $1.33.

Turn: ($3.31) 8:diamond:
      River: ($3.31) 7:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $3.31

Results follow (highlight to see):
      UTG2 shows two-pair, aces and jacks (As Js)
      Hero shows (Ah Ks)

UTG2 wins with two-pair, aces and jacks (As Js)

so i probably shouldn't have made the call given that an all-in in this situation generally screams 2pair/trips etc... when i contemplated making the call it crossed my mind that AJ would definitely be in his range but for some reason i thought the all in looked like he wanted to take the pot down maybe with a weak ace or even a flush draw. i would like some feedback though because i'm in the process of educating myself so any help is appreciated.

a couple of questions... say preflop the guy didn't just call and instead reraised me. so i hold AKo, raised the standard 3x initial raise but he reraised me. do i call, shove or fold? i know it could depend on the player but to be honest my experience of 2nl is chaos.. i'm following the SHC for BSS but it doesn't cover 3bets and steals&resteals like MSS chart so i feel a little lost with it...

also, am i really meant to play TPTK like bet/fold? i know it isnt an amazingly strong hand but i know at least at 2nl people will be very aggressive with top pair weak kicker and so i dont wan2 be folding the same pair with a higher kicker than them...
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello DrDunne,

Welcome to the NL BSS Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future, so we will be able to help you fix your leaks and as well help to move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

so i probably shouldn't have made the call given that an all-in in this situation generally screams 2pair/trips etc... when i contemplated making the call it crossed my mind that AJ would definitely be in his range but for some reason i thought the all in looked like he wanted to take the pot down maybe with a weak ace or even a flush draw. i would like some feedback though because i'm in the process of educating myself so any help is appreciated.

You need ~41% equity for make it break-even Call. So overall maybe even something like 43% at least for some profit. And for example:

Board: A:diamond: J:diamond: 6:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    55.26%  54.91%   0.35% { JJ, 66, AQs-ATs, KdQd, AQo-AJo }
      UTG+1  44.74%  44.39%   0.35% { AhKs }

Against this kind of range we can even consider it to Call. Although more often with sets I am pretty sure that he would Check/Raise. And if we remove them:

Board: A:diamond: J:diamond: 6:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    40.65%  40.18%   0.47% { AQs-ATs, KdQd, AQo-AJo }
      UTG+1  59.35%  58.88%   0.47% { AhKs }

So I would still Call, he ain't even fully stacked and it's a 3bet pot.

a couple of questions... say preflop the guy didn't just call and instead reraised me. so i hold AKo, raised the standard 3x initial raise but he reraised me. do i call, shove or fold? i know it could depend on the player but to be honest my experience of 2nl is chaos.. i'm following the SHC for BSS but it doesn't cover 3bets and steals&resteals like MSS chart so i feel a little lost with it...

Usually as you 3bet then your plan is as well to play it for stacks. And while he ain't even fully stacked should be fine to 3bet/Broke unless we know the opponent better. Against some tight player I might just Call and play postflop. Of course there is 3bet/Fold option as well but such a play I wouldn't pick unless I am trying just to play my hand for a bluff only.

also, am i really meant to play TPTK like bet/fold? i know it isnt an amazingly strong hand but i know at least at 2nl people will be very aggressive with top pair weak kicker and so i dont wan2 be folding the same pair with a higher kicker than them...

Most likely if it ain't 3bet/4bet pot we are very often consider to Bet/Fold our hand. But really depends on the board/opponent/previous actions and other facts.

Best regards.