pushing

• cekpirus88
      cekpirus88
      Bronze
      Yesterday I played a tournament live in a small club, in the middle of the game I was short and I was wondering which is the right behavior that I have to assume for a quick recover. I was in the small blind, everyone folded, I had J :club: T :club: , I had the idea to raise as the chart suggest, but I was short, I had 4500 chips and the blinds were 300/600, in this case I had to raise minimum 1500 and commit almost half of my chips. what would have you done in this situation? at the end I just called for 300 more, we both checked until the river than he bet the minimum and I folded, because I had really nothing. how do you play in these situation?
  • 5 replies
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi cekpirus,

will let the sng players answer this as i dont play sngs myself. :f_eek: but with 7.5bb left, i think you are already in push/fold mode and calling with the plan of check/folding is not a good idea.
      we have articles and push-fold charts in the strategy section which can really help in this stage of the game. would advise you to take a look at them :)

regards,
      wendy
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      easy push ;)
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      yea :D

here's the link my friend.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/787/1/
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      The normal strategy at that depth is to push any hand worth playing, and JTs isn't close to the worst hand you should push. If you turned your hand face up and then pushed, this would still be much better than folding. So, even if you think pushing would somehow reveal the type of hand you have, it would still be a fine play.

It is possible that against some opponents you could do better by completing or by making a small raise instead of pushing. However, you should have a plan in mind for how you are going to win the pot even if you miss the flop which you will do most of the time. Checking it down doesn't seem to be a profitable line.

I suggest watching my video "The Golden Rule" which is about pushing from the small blind in tournaments. The rule itself doesn't apply to this situation, but there is a lot of other information in that video which should help you.
    • sapheal
      sapheal
      Global
      cekpirus88 ;) ,

As noted by guys before, this is a push situation. You do have a good hand that plays well against villain's calling ranges. Villain is likely to call you with 22-99 or A9, but there is a lot of dead money in the pot given the size of the blinds.

Cheers,
      Michal