How many limpers to make it profitable?

• RubyWesson
      RubyWesson
      Bronze
      Ok so im not great at the mathmatical sides of poker (yet!), so i was wondering how many players out of 9, would it take to make the pot odds correct to complete the SB with any 2 cards? or is it never profitable?
  • 4 replies
    • LONGPLAY66
      LONGPLAY66
      Bronze
      i never bother calling with hands like 62,83,72,92 etc....problem being you are hugely unlikely to win the hand with your low card pairing and if you hit your higher card you have kicker issues when the flop comes 963 and you have 92...better to let these cards go pre flop even if you are getting 9/1.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      How do you plan to hit the flop with 72o, and who will pay you off?

A disconnected offsuit hand outflops an overpair about 3.5% of the time, and most of that is from flopping two low pairs, which are far from a lock. In a limped pot, your opponents are hoping for two pair or better, too, and they are drawing at sets, straights, and better two pair hands.

Offsuit trash hands do better against fewer opponents since they have a much better chance to win with one pair. Playing them when it looks like you get good odds but have to beat many players is a common leak.
    • RubyWesson
      RubyWesson
      Bronze
      I stick to the charts and may complete sb with a few marginal hands just wondering if there is a way to play the sb in a profitably way from limping with mediocre hands in an unraised pot, but keeping that 0.5bb\9 hands does add up to quite a bit over a big sample
    • sapheal
      sapheal
      Global
      Originally posted by RubyWesson
      Ok so im not great at the mathmatical sides of poker (yet!), so i was wondering how many players out of 9, would it take to make the pot odds correct to complete the SB with any 2 cards? or is it never profitable?
      RubyWesson ,

Very good question. Always creative thinking is highly welcome here!

Firstly, you need to understand what you need to hit. If you hit 775 flop (which appears with certain %), then if you put your entire stack in the middle in multiwayflop, then you're drawing dead against 55. If you hit 772, then nobody has anything (lets say AA is the best holding at the moment) and in multiway you're not going to hit anything.

No potentially considerable flop (in terms of implied odds) exists. 22A might be the best one for you when you play against a weak player w/AK. Too many assumptions though.

If you count the probabilities of a situation you need to have for a call to become profitable, then you will see that it doesn't exist in 9-handed tables.

Cheers,
      Michal