finding BSS hard

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      im having difficulty playing BSS! i can make the right decisions preflop and everything but the second i get to the flop i feel lost a lot of the time. i can put my opponents on ranges and everything but i just find the strategy strangely difficult... im playing 2nl but i just lost 2BI in like an hour and it seems like it will just carry on that way. i may win a pot i may be up a $ or 2 but then i end up losing it all eventually if i stay on the table something like KK v AA will come up and i'll go bust. i feel like i must be doing something wrong but i just am finding it difficult to make the right decision on the flop turn and river. i have just come out from playing MSS because i made a steady profit with that and know there is more to win with BSS.... i just can't seem to nail it. any tips?
  • 31 replies
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Post hands in the hand evaluation forum and make sure you post your own thought process (for example, the range of the opponent, which you say you know :P ). Then you'll learn what to do =)
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      okay i've started posting in the hand evaluation so i'll try and aim to get at least one hand in there per day. i know my problem lies with flop turn and river decisions and i was wondering would it be beneficial to use the MSS decision chart with BSS but with less emphasis on trying to play for stacks? i know MSS and BSS are completely different but i just feel a little lost with my decisions and i know i'm making terrible ones lol.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      when is a good time to leave a table? i know with MSS i pretty much quit after every double up... whats the game with BSS?
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      when is a good time to leave a table? i know with MSS i pretty much quit after every double up... whats the game with BSS?
      you leave the table when you feel that you don't have an edge on the players anymore hence there is no money to be made. Is there a fish at the table ? Do you have a target ? If yes, stay. If no, leave
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      I have struggled swapping from mss to bss too, my main problem was throwing too much money in the pot with hands like overpairs and two pair, im finding im just starting to get the hang of it over the last few weeks, being very selective on tables and not getting it all in with overpairs and stuff has helped me, I have recently started rereading the basic artices again on "playing made hands" this has helped me a lot, although I still make some silly mistakes!
      my next learning curve is bet sizing and sticking to the motto "small pots for small hands big pots for big hands"
      look for fish and when you do have a good hand get your money in, this seems to work best for me :P

Roo :P
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      yea man it does feel like a completely different game. it feels a lot less rigid than mss. i do seem to be getting the hang of it tho and i was the same at first. i have come to accept that top pair top kicker really isnt that amazing against a reraise no matter how dry the board is. literally every time i call in that situation im dominated. i feel like i've learnt a lot from the articles tho, last few days i've gone back to bronze and have been making notes on the articles lol just trying to drill it in my brain. i seem to have been on a bit of a swing tho and lost $25 in like 4 days so i'm pretty much back to square one X( (a lot of that i only have myself to blame tho) ah well it's a learning curve :D
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      yea man it does feel like a completely different game. it feels a lot less rigid than mss. i do seem to be getting the hang of it tho and i was the same at first. i have come to accept that top pair top kicker really isnt that amazing against a reraise no matter how dry the board is. literally every time i call in that situation im dominated. i feel like i've learnt a lot from the articles tho, last few days i've gone back to bronze and have been making notes on the articles lol just trying to drill it in my brain. i seem to have been on a bit of a swing tho and lost $25 in like 4 days so i'm pretty much back to square one X( (a lot of that i only have myself to blame tho) ah well it's a learning curve :D
      I like the note taking too, I have notes all over the wall by my computer! I have been able to hit a few upswings but then I tend to do something silly like think the guy is bluffing and spew chips, I find it fustrating but I am feeling that i almost have control over my actions so hopefully I will be making money soon :P
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      we can see who reaches $1k first. my bankroll is currently hovering around the $50 mark thanks to a few bad days haha
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      we can see who reaches $1k first. my bankroll is currently hovering around the $50 mark thanks to a few bad days haha
      lol good idea!! although I will have to work out what my real roll would be as I have been depositing money to build my Br up!
      If I check my hem its -17.28 $ at nl2 so I have some catching up to do!!
      At one point it was down to -29$ so im on my way up!! I only play one table at a time, so I guess you can imagine how long it has taken to get back to -17.28!!!
      I have played 19000 hands at nl2 one table at a time, its taken me months but I feel its worth it to learn, im still making stupid errors and at this limit its not so noticeable losing a few dollars.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      i think it would be good it might push us to work even harder on our game. no worries, i am hovering at break even for the last week and it doesn't seem to be changing. btw i found that i get too bored on 1 table so i try and force some action which is obviously a no no so i play 4-6 at a time. you should try and increase man it will keep you busy and might even stop you from making as many mistakes.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      i think it would be good it might push us to work even harder on our game. no worries, i am hovering at break even for the last week and it doesn't seem to be changing. btw i found that i get too bored on 1 table so i try and force some action which is obviously a no no so i play 4-6 at a time. you should try and increase man it will keep you busy and might even stop you from making as many mistakes.
      yes im going to be trying 2 tables this week and then 1+ every week up to 4, I have tried multi tabling before but was spewing money, this was sometime ago though so hopefully I have learned a bit by now!
      Do you have a blog? maybe we could start one and help each other out from there?
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      sweet. nah i don't have a blog yet - was gunna wait til i bust into 5NL and well on my way to 10NL before i started one just so i know i'm actually capable of continuing a blog lol. i think since we're both at 2NL we should wait til we move up a little bit then start one but i'm well up for that :f_cool:
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Hey, im like you 2 and i am currently playing 2NL on william hill, my bankroll is currently around $50 aswell and so i wud lyk to join you on your challenge and possibly discuss hands and improve if ur up for it.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey keoghh yea im up for discussing hands. and nothing like a good challenge to get us improving quicker :D
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Sound mate, guna download elephant so i can post some hands up
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      i've played just over 15,000 hands this month... and i'm down $0.90. SOMETHING IS TERRIBLY WRONG. back to the beginners strategy section for me before i play anymore :(
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      i've played just over 15,000 hands this month... and i'm down $0.90. SOMETHING IS TERRIBLY WRONG. back to the beginners strategy section for me before i play anymore :(
      DrDunne,
      There is must be something wrong with your game X( .
      I'm playing NL2 SH at WH following the basic preflop chart and articles, and I think I'm quite success. My winning rate is 8 big blinds/100 and I'm ready to go up to NL4 now. This is my tips for you:

1. Play as many table as you comfortable. Dont play more table if you can not follow the game at all tables. I play 3 tables at the moment, because I can not follow the game if I add more table. But if you think 1 table is too boring, add 1 more. Feeling boring is bad because we will start to make fancy move, which is bad.

2. Preflop chart is not very usefull. We must adapt to the type of the players at the table.

3. Post flop is the key to success!! If you want to win more than 3 big blind/100, you must learn about "range". And we must believe our analysis!! Equilab is a perfect tools for learning about "range"

4. Use HUD. I myself use Elephant and although it is not good compared to HEM or PT3, its enough for me.

5. Hands analysis section of our forum is a great forum.

I know this is very general tips, and you must be know all of thess. But do you really practice it?
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Hey again, been playing for last week and im up about $5-8, still learning, recently got a silver status on here and so guna read alot of the articles and watch more videos.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey patszerdonk thanks for the tips, and you are totally right it is something wrong with my game and i'm sure it's my postflop play.

i've been playing 6 tables because i feel the most comfortable on that number and it keeps me busy but maybe i will drop down to 4 now that i'm reviewing myself lol.

i havent yet started to use equilab, so maybe i will start now :D

i use elephant HUD on the beginner setting cos i can't figure out what the numbers are on the expert setting - made another thread but no one has explained it yet...

and i use the hand analysis section regularly..

its pretty disappointing because i thought i was getting the hang of it but maybe not. i think it's a combination of factors like i tilt fairly easily now but i always acknowledge it and often stop playing. another problem is i've been results oriented so that's changing now and i'll be focusing on imrpoving. some days i might make like $7, but then i'll go 3 days playing about 1500h each and ending up in the negative again so it feels like 1 step forward 2 steps back. i know i can build up with MSS but i want to play BSS. im refusing to play until i've read over all of the articles again lol

keoghh thats good keep going! maybe once i've sorted my act out we can get going with this race lol