How to deal with limpers

• brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      I am having huge problems with people who just limp/call everything but yet will hit better than me

how can someone limp qjo from the sb after I raised UTG?

I got ppl limping in suited aces to hit 2pair and destory my KA/QA

I thought they were bad players but yet they stack me everytime,

my AA got crakced twice by ppl that were way behind but still thought limping then calling 6 more bb is worth it

what is your strategy against people who constantly limp/call or just limo ur raise with i guess anything , im going to start folding AA b/c there getting cracked way to much, i think if i dont have 2 pair or betetr im just giving up on the hand, it's usesless to try n put ppl on ranges when they could have anything
  • 8 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Your use of the word "limp" is nonstandard, so it's not clear what you are asking about. Limping means calling the big blind. The normal way to punish limpers is to raise a wide range in position after they limp in. After you raise UTG, limping is not possible, but players can call your raise.

Are you playing in a way that makes it a good gamble for players to call your raises? Are you getting very little when they miss, but stacking off every time they hit? If it's not a good gamble for them, then you don't have to change how you play, although you might find better ways to play.

For example, some players are so passive that you can fold one pair every time they raise. Against these players, you might be able to value bet your good pairs, but you can fold when you get raised. Other players will raise often as a semibluff or bluff, so just try to tell the difference. That your opponents start with a wide range does not excuse you from the task of determining their ranges later.

Folding AA preflop would be burning money. Take a break from poker if you dread getting the most profitable hand.
    • Hamlet77
      Hamlet77
      Bronze
      I guess he generalized Limpers and Cold-Callers. Those idiots that keep on calling everything with anything from any position... but still they hit.

And yes, I had the same problem specially at PokerStars.

The solution.... quit playing there!
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Am I the only one that still likes predominantly loose-passive games?
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      I was tilting when I wrote this sorry if it wasn't clear

@ pzhon

- Yeah limping/coldcalling was what the title should have been

- I;m playing fairly tight, I should have a tight image, What do you mean by me getting very little when they miss? Like if someone dosen't hit the flop I get no action? What is meant by passive? They can;t give up hands?
      It just seems every time I have a strong pair maybe even 2 pair and I get raised I am often behind, so maybe I just need to better work on my hand ranging skill, I duno. I have great results in tourney but I really want to get my cash game up

I didn't mean folding AA pre I just meant on the flop it loses so much so i duno Ill have to look in HEM later tonight to get a betetr feel of whats going wrong

@ Hamlet

- I am stuck at my room forawhile and theres tons of fish theres no reason why I cant get ahead lol, but your first statement is exactly how I feel
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by brobz

- I;m playing fairly tight, I should have a tight image, What do you mean by me getting very little when they miss? Like if someone dosen't hit the flop I get no action? What is meant by passive? They can;t give up hands?
      It just seems every time I have a strong pair maybe even 2 pair and I get raised I am often behind, so maybe I just need to better work on my hand ranging skill, I duno. I have great results in tourney but I really want to get my cash game up
      Don't count on your opponents noticing how you have been playing. Some are not observant. Some will notice, but won't adjust.

Would you be vulnerable to someone set-mining? Calling your raises with a low pocket pair, and then only continuing with a set? When the player misses, you would win a small pot. When your opponent flops a set, sometimes you will still win, but usually you will lose a large pot with AA.

Hands like 76s don't hit flops as hard or as often as low pocket pairs. Hands like Q7s are much weaker. If you aren't vulnerable to set-miners, then you probably aren't vulnerable to players calling with weaker hands.

Passive is the opposite of aggressive. A passive player is one who rarely bets or raises. This does not mean anything about how often the player calls. When an aggressive player raises, he might have a draw, or a low pair, or a monster, or he just doesn't think you have anything. When a passive player raises, it usually means a very strong hand. Do you use a HUD with an aggression factor or aggression %?
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pzhon
      Originally posted by brobz

Don't count on your opponents noticing how you have been playing. Some are not observant. Some will notice, but won't adjust.

Would you be vulnerable to someone set-mining? Calling your raises with a low pocket pair, and then only continuing with a set? When the player misses, you would win a small pot. When your opponent flops a set, sometimes you will still win, but usually you will lose a large pot with AA.

Hands like 76s don't hit flops as hard or as often as low pocket pairs. Hands like Q7s are much weaker. If you aren't vulnerable to set-miners, then you probably aren't vulnerable to players calling with weaker hands.

Passive is the opposite of aggressive. A passive player is one who rarely bets or raises. This does not mean anything about how often the player calls. When an aggressive player raises, he might have a draw, or a low pair, or a monster, or he just doesn't think you have anything. When a passive player raises, it usually means a very strong hand. Do you use a HUD with an aggression factor or aggression %?
      - I am vulnerable to set-mining yes it's where most of my loses are comming from, is there ways to correct this? I know we just have to pay attention first to what the opponenets play is like, but any other tips ?

- I guess most players are passive at my room, so giving respect to their raises a bit more even when I have strong hands can lead me to not stacking off so much

- no hud b/c Cake does not allow it, it's hard for me to gauge exactly everything I have to take notes constantly which I am not too good at either at the moment. I will be moving to William Hill soon I think so i will have to learn eveyrthing about the HUDs then

thanks for your responses anyway
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      same shit tonight

guy is calling every raise i make no matter what when i isolate he calls when i open he calls

but yet everytime he hits his cards or rivers me then talks shit..extremely annoying
    • sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      actually i like to limp in, i really hate, really f**king hate people when they pre flop raise everytime, every round, i mean i really wanna get my cards and play the flop accordingly, its like the game never reaches the flop, pisses me off. Even if i do call their ridiculous raise, they just bluff bet, to protect their pre flop raise. When i do hit my hand, they cant call me! So annoying.