defending against the 3 better

• Angelface21
      Angelface21
      Bronze
      I am looking for some good information about how to defend against the restealer. Any good articles here on this site about it? Or videos!
      Agrh.........I will look it up in the video section ofcourse. I have seen one article in the silver section anymore more about this subject. I think it could be worth to bring some more attention to this subject. Kind of important when you move up the levels. :f_cool:
  • 3 replies
    • jaxtraw
      jaxtraw
      Bronze
      A constant restealer is an annoyance at first, then when you adapt, you can then use this annoyance to your advantage.

I will ask you some questions as to let you try to come to the answer yourself. What hands are you stealing with, about how many BB do you have when he resteals, and lastly, what hand range do you believe him to make these resteals with?
    • jaxtraw
      jaxtraw
      Bronze
      A constant restealer is an annoyance at first, then when you adapt, you can then use this annoyance to your advantage.

I will ask you some questions as to let you try to come to the answer yourself. What hands are you stealing with, about how many BB do you have when he resteals, and lastly, what hand range do you believe him to make these resteals with?
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      It is rare that you really want action near the bubble. (Try the "Induce Action?" button in ICM Explorer.) So, when you encounter someone who resteals a lot, so much that it is unprofitable to have a raise/fold range at all, then this usually hurts you even if you know exactly what the player is doing. When you know that someone resteals a lot, you might want to take the option away from them by pushing deeper than 10 bb. You generally want to have a tighter range when you risk more. You can make a few smaller raises to induce action, or to pretend that you are inducing action.

Usually decrease the size of your non-push raises when the effective stack depth is under 20 bb. If you raise to 2.5 bb instead of 3 bb, this makes the reward of restealing to 20 bb smaller. Decreasing the raise size lets you raise a wider range, and profit more on average if your opponent will respond by pushing or folding.