Known players:      
      Hero:
      $2.67
      UTG2:
      $0.46
      MP2:
      $2.22

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:club: , K:heart:
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 calls $0.02, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $0.08, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.24, UTG2 folds, MP2 calls $0.16.

Flop: ($0.51) Q:spade: , T:diamond: , 2:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.24, Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.51

because he only called my reraise preflop, and the fact that i was already holding the 2 overcards, i thought it was unlikely he had an overpair to that board and i didn't put him on a flush draw. i decided to check because i thought his range would be AA & KK (calling just to trap), QQ, JJ, TT, 99, AK(unlikely), AQ, AJ, AT, KQ, KJ and pretty much any mid to high pocket pair which means i'm beaten by a lot. this is why i just check folded and let him take the pot instead of getting married to the hand and calling. i decided if i called and hit an ace, it's likely that he would have hit as well and given his range he may well have hit 2 pair and easily a straight, maybe even a flush and i would have lost a big portion of my stack with TPTK. if i raised him then it's possible he would become passive and i would lose a lot by being the aggressor trying to take the pot down if he had me dominated so i decided a fold would be best. does my logic make sense and was this a good decision?
  • 2 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello DrDunne,

It ain't a huge mistake to play it this way, although with the GS shouldn't be wrong to CBet it either. And how do you expect him to have such a range, did you have stats or anything? Of course the range is considerable but if he is more looser then he definitely will have a lot worse hands even in his range.

Best regards.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      well generally i use the elephant's HUD to give me an idea of VP$IP and aggression factor but i've noticed that the readings change dramatically. also i don't remember actually referring to it so much as to use it to inform my decision which was probably a mistake, i literally just assumed that was the sort of range he would have. i guess i need to put the elephant to better use in future. maybe get away from using the beginner setting on the HUD too lol :f_o: