Cold calling small pocket pairs

Bronze
      When do you call with small pockets for set value? I have been playing NL25 and NL50 for quite some time now, but I don't remember even a single time I stacked my opponent with a set. I hit relatively rarely and when I do hit, they usually fold on the turn at latest. From what I understand the call20 rule is profitable if you can be sure that you will stack your opponent 1 in 2 times, right? It simply is not the case in my play.

This is why I ask the question - given that your opponents are neither complete fish and maniacs that go bust postflop very often, nor supertight rocks that openraise strong hands only, when do you cold call small pockets preflop?
  • 4 replies
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      - when I'm in LP and there is a fish in the blinds
      - when a nit opens from UTG. His range is so strong there, that if I hit a set, I am pretty sure I will stack his overpair or TPPK hand
      - when there has been a raise, and a call in front of me.
      - when I'm in the blinds, and a LP opens, depending on his LP open % I 3bet my PP and usually get a fold. Calling PP from the blinds to a LP open is a no-no, because LP's range is weak, and even if we hit a set, we aren't likely to stack him. the only time when I call from the blinds with PP is if the opener is exploitable:he has a cbet of 70% and a turn bet of 40% or something like that. In this case I float the flop and donk the turn or value-bet the river when checked-to. (very villain dependent)

this is all 6max, don't know full-ring
    • sapheal
      sapheal
      Global
      Guys,

I really liked bmfbpi 's answer. As noted, calling pp requires implied odds. Implied odds don't work well out of position or against a weak range.

Cheers,
      Michal
      Bronze
      Guys, I really liked Avatars91 's answer.

You probably meant bmfbpi's answer :)
      But yes, that is the answer I was looking for and that reinforced some of my own ideas on the topic. Thanks bmfbpi!
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      no problem bro, glad I could help :D