pretty passive

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      i've been sticking to the SHC for BSS for pretty much the last 2500 hands and although it's not a huge sample as far as samples go but VP$IP = 6 and PFR = 10... the preflop raise is down as passive. is this normal at BSS?
  • 5 replies
    • Jan217
      Jan217
      Bronze
      heh? how can vpip be smaller than pfr? ?(
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      oops wrong way round VP$IP = 10, PFR = 6 lol. sorry i'm just starting to pay attention to these stats....
    • Jan217
      Jan217
      Bronze
      ah ok, if your playing full ring then while these stats are on the tight side, they arent a bad starting point if youre just beginning. As you get more comfortable postflop you can start to play more hands. Really its all about adjusting to your opponents, if they play really tight you can steal blinds with a lot more hands, and if they play really lose you can just play your stronger hands and valuetown them when you outflop them.

If your playing shorthanded though then your definately playing too tight and will just be losing too much money to the blinds. Id switch to fullring.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      nah i'm playing FR. it was a little confusing tho cos i thought to be playing well you should be tight aggressive but this said passive so i thought i might be doing something wrong.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      nah i'm playing FR. it was a little confusing tho cos i thought to be playing well you should be tight aggressive but this said passive so i thought i might be doing something wrong.
      10/6 is indeed quite passive even for FR. That means you play roughly 1 in 10 hands and raise roughly 1 in 17 hands. In other words you barely play a hand every orbit and only raise once every 2 orbits. The rake, blinds and antes (if antes apply) will take a huge part of your winnings.

To start loosening up you should look at situations where you can still more liberally on the button and sometimes the cutoff.