[NL2-NL10] JJ in small blind: pot control or bet?

• applecrumble
      applecrumble
      Bronze
      this hand occurred shortly after starting a session with no reads or knowledge of any player.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG2:
      $5.55
      MP1:
      $4.81
      MP2:
      $12.50
      MP3:
      $6.16
      CO:
      $13.02
      BU:
      $4.84
      SB (Hero):
      $5.76
      BB:
      $12.50
      UTG1:
      $1.30

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, J.
      6 folds, BU raises to $0.15, Hero raises to $0.50, BB folds, BU calls $0.35.

Usually i'd bet 4X the raise by the button and don't know why I bet less. I didn't like the call though since I'll be playing out of position.

Flop: ($1.05) K, 4, T (2 players)

I didn't care for the board here, out of position with an overcard and a flush draw. I didn't think i could call a large raise if I bet so plan to check and call .. aiming for pot control.
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60.

At this point I didnt know if i was facing K or a draw but felt that it was ok to call rather than simply fold. His range for the preflop raise must be huge so there is a good chance I am ahead.

Turn: ($2.25) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

The check call plan was still in place. Again I felt I could not risk a bet then a shove from him. When he checks behind I am pretty sure he is on a draw or has a lesser hand than me.

River: ($2.25) 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $1.55,

Ugh .. hefty bet that could easily fit with a busted flush / str8 draw. I really didn't think he had a king surely he would have bet the turn if he had one so I called.

Hero calls $1.55.

Final Pot: $5.35.
      Results follow:

BU shows three of a kind, sixes(6 6).
      Hero shows a pair of jacks(J J).

BU wins with three of a kind, sixes(6 6).

Ugly result :(

so the question is .. was this bad play, a bad plan, a bad call or just bad luck, or even all of the above?
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello applecrumble,

Welcome to the NL BSS Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future, so we will be able to help you fix your leaks and as well help to move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

About the hand:
      Why didn't you CBet the flop? You just giving him the opportunity to start with bluffing and it will be hard for you to Call 2 streets. Rather CBet the flop and be happy if you take it down.

Best regards.