[NL2-NL10] NL4 BSS three trouble hands

• rudders93
      rudders93
      Bronze
      In all these hands I'm am playing quite tight (VPIP ~14) mostly because I've come to realise that I have a lot to learn and that abc poker is the way to go. Problem is I don't always follow that rule, partly because I'm not to sure exactly what is abc poker :( . Anyhow, figured it's time for me to learn ;)

Thanks in advance for your help!

-------------------

Hand 1: The MP3 isn't very loose, and he tends to play aggressively as well. BB was a quite loose player. Main things I'm wondering are:
      - was I correct in calling pre-flop?
      - post flop, was my call justified? Or should I have re-raised with top pair? Or, with his continuation bet, should I have just let it go given the rather draw-heavy flop? I called figuring that any J, T, Q would have been an out (so 9 outs) hence that's why I called.
      - turn play? i re-raised figuring I most likely had the nuts, but not sure if my whether that's correct.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $4.73
      MP1:
      $3.27
      MP2:
      $5.13
      MP3:
      $4.00
      CO:
      $4.21
      BU (Hero):
      $5.70
      SB:
      $3.92

Preflop: Hero is BU with J, Q.
      2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.16, CO folds, Hero calls $0.16, SB folds, BB calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.5) 8, J, 9 (3 players)
      BB checks, MP3 bets $0.36, Hero calls $0.36, BB calls $0.36.

Turn: ($1.58) J (3 players)
      BB checks, MP3 bets $1.13, Hero raises to $2.50, BB folds, MP3 calls $2.35(All-In), Hero calls $0.98.

River: ($8.54) T (2 players)

Final Pot: $8.54.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a straight, queen high(J Q).
      MP3 shows three of a kind, jacks(A J).

Hero wins with a straight, queen high(J Q).

Thankfully have a lucky river!

----------------

With this MP2 was rather loose (which is why I called, as I figured he probably had a worse hand than me). BU was moderately tight, what I figured he was doing was a squeeze play, hence my call. I'm not to sure if that was the correct defense, or if the post flop bet was also correct.

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP3 (Hero):
      $3.08
      CO:
      $4.27
      BU:
      $5.02
      SB:
      $4.31
      BB:
      $1.61
      UTG2:
      $4.00
      MP1:
      $1.75
      MP2:
      $4.00

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, Q.
      2 folds, MP2 raises to $0.16, Hero calls $0.16, CO folds, BU raises to $0.56, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.34) 7, A, 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.96, BU folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.34.

---------------------

This hand I'm not too sure what to make of it, I'm not to sure what was going through my mind when I did it. He called my c-bet, indicating that either he'd probably hit something, but then on the turn, after I checked (figured he might've hit trips or a straight with the 9) he checked back on me, which I took to mean that he had missed, resulting in my river bet. However, should I have instead lead with a bet on the turn?

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $4.71
      UTG1:
      $1.26
      UTG2:
      $7.62
      MP1:
      $4.00
      MP2:
      $4.00
      MP3:
      $1.83
      CO (Hero):
      $3.82
      BU:
      $4.00
      SB:
      $4.97

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, A.
      3 folds, MP2 raises to $0.16, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.48, 3 folds, MP2 calls $0.32.

Flop: ($1.02) J, T, J (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.72, MP2 calls $0.72.

Turn: ($2.46) 9 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($2.46) 7 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $1.76, MP2 calls $1.76.

Final Pot: $5.98.
      Results follow:

MP2 shows a pair of jacks(K A).
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and jacks(A A).

Hero wins with two pairs, aces and jacks(A A).
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello rudders93,

1hand per thread, thanks! We just have to concentrate on all the hands together but rather would be much easier for us not to scroll down and back up and back down and back up and write better evaluations if there is just one hand. So next time please keep it 1hand per thread.

Hand #1
      Fold preflop unless you have a good reason to play this hand. Too loose. And otherwise not much to add.

Hand #2
      Fold preflop again. :) Huh and donk such a turn while not being PFA? You wont get value from worse hands... And add to full stack.

Hand #3
      Bet the turn as well for value and try to get it in.

Best regards.
    • rudders93
      rudders93
      Bronze
      Sorry, next time will only post 1 hand, just in the guidelines said most max 3 :(

With hand #3, why check behind? What kind of hand could he be representing? Because he only check/called, he never represented a hand with aggression so I figured he likely didn't have a hand, else he would have likely value bet me on the river or had check/raised me previously in the hand?

Also, do you think i should have instead lead out with bet on the turn?

With hand #1 as well, could you explain why JQ is too loose to call from the button? Just I'll have position post flop and I figure that if I hit top pair + I'll likely have he nuts given how loose many people play NL4?

Thanks again!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by rudders93
      Sorry, next time will only post 1 hand, just in the guidelines said most max 3 :(

With hand #3, why check behind? What kind of hand could he be representing? Because he only check/called, he never represented a hand with aggression so I figured he likely didn't have a hand, else he would have likely value bet me on the river or had check/raised me previously in the hand?

Also, do you think i should have instead lead out with bet on the turn?

With hand #1 as well, could you explain why JQ is too loose to call from the button? Just I'll have position post flop and I figure that if I hit top pair + I'll likely have he nuts given how loose many people play NL4?

Thanks again!
      Uh, that's exactly the reason why there shouldn't be more than 1 hand per thread. :( I was looking in the wrong way the hand. Somehow I didn't saw you having the AA Hand #3. And I did reevaluate it.

About Hand #1 is that you kinda have to know the opponent. Since you wont play with just call the hand profitable in long run, you have to take stabs even if you don't hit. And even if you hit your J or Q you will never know where you stand with the hand. Rather prefer having QJs.