Too Polarized?

• Kodark
      Kodark
      Bronze
      Hi all need some advice on my game. currently playing nl10-25

Basically i want to know the disadvantage of how i play because i very rarely bet half pot or go for thin value i almost always make my bets pot sized or at the very least 3/4 pot.

When i know i have the best hand i am basically looking to pot pot shove in most situations in both cash games and sng's obviously this is optimal in sngs but i have a feeling it is not optimal for cash games.

Obviously this kind of donking means that i will also pot size bet my bluffs often meaning that i can fire big double barrels but will often not 3rd barrel a pot size bet.

You may say that its hard to get called by marginal hands when donking the pot everytime but ofcourse my opponents pick up on the fact im potting my bluffs also and often have no real choice but to call me for 2 streets if they have what they consider a decent chance of making what they think is the best hand.

What does this mean for my game and how would it negatively affect me?

I should state that i ofcourse am capable of checking the best hand aswell as laying bear traps but im strictly speaking the majority of times i will make a pot sized bet. Also in multi way pots i may bet half pot with what i think is the best hand because i belive there to be more value in it and also i dont risk losing as much if im OOP.
  • 16 replies
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      I like to stay closer to half pot, makes bluffs cheaper also you get more value because they will tend to call more if you bet less.
    • ArtisSkirpa
      ArtisSkirpa
      Bronze
      Just don't bet pot. People at 10/25nl often won't pick up on your betsizes and/or won't think about much other than their own hand anyway, so I would mostly just make exploitable betsizes against anyone but the better regs.

And I don't mean that you should bet pot for value and half pot as a bluff. Vs fish you can bet 4/5 pot or 5/6 pot for value, and 1/2 pot or somethink like 3/5 as a bluff, I think the same can be applied when playing vs a huge nit, Vs a reg you can bet something like 3/5 as a bluff and 3/4 for value or just bet around 3/4 with everything if you feel like they can pick up on this.

On the river, I like betting smaller with my top pair or weaker hands vs fish, because they will call you way more often with their marginal hands if you don't just bomb the river. If you have a nuttish hand, there's nothing wrong with betting big, just because you beat everyhing and might as well go for max value vs the top of your opponents range. Same applies vs weaker regs.

Board texture also has to be factored into your betsize. Bet bigger for value on draw-heavy flops, and think about check/calling river more often than betting when draws brick.

Hope this was something that you were looking fore. ;)
    • Kodark
      Kodark
      Bronze
      ye thanks. I mean a huge reason why i do it is i feel fish will chase their draws weather i give them the price or not, i am not a fan of giving people the odds to call me and really love to really punish those who are praying to the poker gods to draw better than my hand.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      this is what i'm doing:

vs nits: betting 45-55% pot on flop depending on texture and range, or not betting at all, <depends>.

vs stations: barreling small until board texture changes and becomes quite advantageous. remember that protecting your hand should only be an additional affect of your strategy, and not the entire purpose of your cbet.

vs TAGS: depends on situation. may check raise a balanced range to give them tough decisions. will bet turn unless I have a reason not to. checking turn often seems quite good in most cases.

vs LAGS: will check raise an unbalanced range for value. cbets tend to be for value, and smaller on connected boards until I see the turn.

ofc i'm doing this with varying degrees of frequency based on reads and their own freqs/ranges.
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by conall88
      this is what i'm doing:

vs nits: betting 45-55% pot on flop depending on texture and range, or not betting at all, <depends>.

vs stations: barreling small until board texture changes and becomes quite advantageous. remember that protecting your hand should only be an additional affect of your strategy, and not the entire purpose of your cbet.

vs TAGS: depends on situation. may check raise a balanced range to give them tough decisions.

vs LAGS: will check raise an unbalanced range for value. cbets tend to be for value, and smaller on connected boards until I see the turn.

ofc i'm doing this with varying degrees of frequency based on reads and their own freqs/ranges.
      if u dont know what ur talking about why bother giving advice?
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by fusionpk
      Originally posted by conall88
      this is what i'm doing:

vs TAGS: depends on situation. may check raise a balanced range to give them tough decisions.

if u dont know what ur talking about why bother giving advice?[/quote
      :D :D :D
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      So remember kids, always barrel stations hard.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      I don't see any issues in barrelling stations with made hands that are hard to draw out on, and most likely way ahead of what I expect from them.

now that you guys have had time to poke fun, please enlighten me.

in regards to my 1st post, replying at 1:26am in the morning isn't conducive to the best of responses by any stretch of the imagination.

re-read OPs post and am wondering why I posted what I did as it seems unrelated :f_love: :f_p:

sry OP

cba making a proper response now. Blame fusion :rage:
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      Barreling implies you don't really have a hand. You're trying to say value bet.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      quite right, I'm not gonna bluff a station, its counterintuitive. don't mind me, I get braindead, especially when it comes to typing, talking or anything normally considered straightforward between the hours of 9am and 8pm...
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      I might be wrong there, that's just what I imagine when I hear barreling.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      according to FTR barreling = To bet an additional street after betting the previous one.

anyway the main issue is I didn't read the original post properly. gg life.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by ArtisSkirpa
      Just don't bet pot. People at 10/25nl often won't pick up on your betsizes and/or won't think about much other than their own hand anyway, so I would mostly just make exploitable betsizes against anyone but the better regs.
      What is meant by "exploitable" in this sentence?

It sounds like you want opponents to take advantage of you, but that doesn't quite make sense.

Thanks,
      --V
    • ilrasso
      ilrasso
      Bronze
      Exploitable strategy is one that can be beaten by a counter strategy.

Lets say u bet small with bad hands and big with good hands, you will get an initial advantage, from getting bigger pots with better hands. But once an opponent picks up on this he can fold to big bets and reraise small bets there by exploiting your exoitable strategy.

This is something ABC poker tries to avoid, but that can be usefull against players you are relatively certain will not be able to exploit you. So the combination of a bad opponent and an exploitable play can be in your advantage.

I hope this was clear - Gday :D
    • ArtisSkirpa
      ArtisSkirpa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ilrasso
      Exploitable strategy is one that can be beaten by a counter strategy.

Lets say u bet small with bad hands and big with good hands, you will get an initial advantage, from getting bigger pots with better hands. But once an opponent picks up on this he can fold to big bets and reraise small bets there by exploiting your exoitable strategy.

This is something ABC poker tries to avoid, but that can be usefull against players you are relatively certain will not be able to exploit you. So the combination of a bad opponent and an exploitable play can be in your advantage.

I hope this was clear - Gday :D
      Couldn't have explained it better!
    • StusMagic
      StusMagic
      Bronze
      on nl10-25 dont ever slowplay,dont ever bluff,just vbet and make those vbets potsized or even bigger

only time when its ok to bluff is if you are stealing blinds from nitty regs who fold a lot(you can just minraise them when you are btn with any 2) you can follow with 1/2 cbet and if he calls you should be done with your bluff

theres no point in bluffing on those limits coz even regs cant fold their top pairs