Setting up a home game

• keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Hey, im about to start having home games with my mates, i just bought a 500 piece poker set, and im wondering how to set up the game, probs guna be 6 players, im not sure what to start the blinds off as and what to move them upto and how often.

Ok so here are the chips i have :-

150 x $1 chips
      150 x $5 chips
      100 x $25 chips
      50 x $50 chips
      50 x $100 chips

May not be the best values but its only a cheapish starter chip set, didnt really wanna pay to much seen as tho were all just learning the game.

Thanks in advance
  • 9 replies
    • RubyWesson
      RubyWesson
      Bronze
      You should start with around 1500 chips, and then keep a lot of chips to be able to change up the small chips, Say you have 10x 1$ then you can exchange for 1x 10$ when the blinds are higher i would suggest

10x 1$
      15x 5$
      11x 25$
      5x 50$
      4x 100$
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      ok thanks, any ideas on starting blinds and then blinds levels to move upto and how often to move up?
    • FatSunny
      FatSunny
      Bronze
      The regular home game we play we started off with 3000 chips and ten min blinds. We then discovered that because of all the drinking, smoking and talking we were only getting a lap of the button per level. After this we moved to 20 mins and this seemed to work better. When the play gets heads up we decrease the levels to 10 min, only cause it can run late and some of my unfortunate friends have to work lol!!
    • RubyWesson
      RubyWesson
      Bronze
      Originally posted by keoghh
      ok thanks, any ideas on starting blinds and then blinds levels to move upto and how often to move up?
      start easy 1/2 or maybe a little higher say 10/20 just thought 1/2 would be like 0.1% of stack haha
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Ok i see thanks, probs will need some trial n error, but will try ur advice of 1500 starting chips n blinds of 10/20 to start moving up every 20 mins.
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      Originally posted by keoghh
      Ok so here are the chips i have :-

150 x $1 chips
      150 x $5 chips
      100 x $25 chips
      50 x $50 chips
      50 x $100 chips

May not be the best values
      I ordered a set of chips today and got to choose custom values - went the same for 1, 5 and 25 then 75 x 100 and 25 x 500 so I personally think your values are great :)
    • Laggsy
      Laggsy
      Bronze
      Have you thought about having a cash game home game?? I started just like you with these home games playing little $5-$10 sit n gos. They get boring. People that bust out can't play poker anymore. You have to worry about blind levels. U have to worry about chipping up etc. All this rubbish is just annoying.

If you play a cash game then you can all just play poker for as long as you wish and then leave. It is much more relaxed because you can all drink and teh game can run as slow as you want. You don't have teh short stack at the table telling everybody to hurry upp before the blinds go up.

Me and my poker friends play either 5c/10c or 10c/20c cash game and these nights last well into the morning. We always play some video games have a movie on in the background. Have some ridiculous prop bets going on. It really is good fun.

Sorry for rambling.
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      My personal choice for a home game is cash, because that stops people having to sit out if they bust. The game is usually played with a cap, to stop the bad players busting after 10 hands.
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Ahh i see so they may not be bad chip values then, just thought it may be helpful to have some chips with values of 500 for when more ppl are playing.

And also you guys make a good point about playing cash games instead of sit n go's, never really thought about playing cash games tbh, will give both cash games n sit n go's a try and see how they both go.